House of Teachings

Sarah

Looking at myself in the mirror, I double check that my hair looks acceptable for my first day at school.

To me, my hair is somewhat the best feature about myself... this sounds so big headed, I know, but I remember vividly my Mom mentioned (quite a few times I must say) that loving yourself is the the pathway to acceptance. I still don't completely understand what she meant by it, perhaps that's because I don't love myself, therefore can't see the pathway of acceptance. Nonetheless, sometimes I'm willing to decode it from time to time and wonder what she thought about when telling me this.

I miss her and my Dad. I wish they could see me now and be here for me. I feel slightly isolated from everyone and this just... doesn't feel right. Maybe I don't belong here; maybe I should've never accepted in the first place. I miss being back at home, where I truly belonged and actually fitted in.

Yet, I know I have to be here. For answers.

Scanning for any creases or anything wrong with the uniform that I was wearing, I found nothing that needed touching up and I sighed. This is so odd. Back at home, we never had to wear a uniform: wearing one right now is quite strange and unusual to me. I know I'll get use to it eventually because it's not really a big deal. Although, I think I prefer wearing a uniform to be honest; choosing different outfits for 5 days a week was exhausting, and I usually liked to wear outfits a couple of times before washing them. In the end, I just gave up trying to pick unique outfits for each day because it was very time-consuming and there was literally no point. I'm probably never going to see any of my old classmates ever again, so it was no use fretting over. Plus, I shouldn't really care about what other people think of me. Sadly, I do care. Even though I know I shouldn't let other people's opinions define me, I do. And I despise it.

Someone knocked on the door, "hey Sarah, are you done in there yet? We need to be at school in half an hour, so if you want breakfast: you'd better hurry before Alex and Harry eat everything. As usual." Cora says, adding a dramatic sigh at the end of her statement.

"Hey!" I heard another voice shout, presumably Alexandra's.

Opening the door with a large smile, "let's go." I tell her and she nods before we descend downstairs and into the living room/dining area.

***

"Where were Lela, Bea and William this morning?" I ask Cora, as we walked out of our second lesson, which was English. And I actually really love it: we are currently learning about Macbeth, which is coincidentally my favourite Shakespeare play.

"Usually Lela leaves early for a walk before school. I've never really had a conversation with her... she generally prefers to keep to herself, but she seems really sweet though." she pauses, struggling to open her locker.

Once Cora sprung it open, she grabbed a few books before continuing, "Bea goes to this tutor in the mornings. I still don't understand why she has a tutor though: she's extremely smart." she closes her locker and we walk outside. The cool September breeze tapped lightly onto my warm skin, I breathe in deeply; savouring this moment.

"And William? I think he goes for a run or something... I don't really know much about him either. He usually just hangs around with Alexandra and Bea." she tells me, shrugging slightly before we sit down on an empty bench.