House of Membership

Sarah

Early mornings were never my 'thing'. But now, I guess they are.

We strode along the soft, damp moss of the forest path. The tree's soft whisper against the gentle breeze was like a lullaby; soothing and warm. It was somewhat welcoming and peaceful as we walked to where ever we were going.

Yet, for some reason I recognised this path. Maybe I've been here before with Cora or Lela? I couldn't remember at the moment: my mind was currently occupied with other things... important things.

To be honest, I was pretty excited to be officially included within this group. I can tell it's going to be an experience and perhaps I'll find things along the way...

We stopped abruptly, at this familiar clearing with the fire pit in the middle and the burnt out elm tree.

I think I remember this place. It was that time when me and Lela were here when I was upset about the stolen locket and letter... I have yet to discover who's stolen it and why.

Whilst they were starting the fire with Harry's lighter, I wandered around the place.

Birds chirped loudly and the sky was cloudless and clear. Surprisingly, it was quite sunny today which is odd because yesterday it rained all throughout the night. English weather is so bizarre and changes constantly. But, in a way, I like it.

"Now, throw it into the fire pit." Asa demands. I turn around and watched the newly lit fire as the smoke from the blazing flames swayed and disappeared into the air: like it was nothing.

Clutching onto my diary, I looked at each member surrounding the pit. I walked towards them and stood next to Harry, pouting at Asa.

"Do I have to throw in this? Even though I don't write in this one anymore... it still holds sentimental value." I state and Asa rolls his eyes at my statement.

"It's tradition; you throw something important to you in the fire pit. Simple." he says and Alexandra places a hand on her hip.

"Weren't you the one that cried when you threw your favourite teddy bear into the fire?" she mocks, grinning smugly at him. Asa grits his teeth and cross his arms together, "you promised you wouldn't tell anyone about that!" he whines, stomping his foot like a little child. Zavier, Harry, Lela and Alexandra all laugh at his tantrum.

"We've known about it for a while, Asa." Harry informs him and Asa's cheeks become rosy and he looks away, embarrassed.

"Hey, there's nothing to be ashamed of. We all have things we love and don't want to let go of." I say, taking a deep breath before throwing the notebook into the fire.

I watched the fire ignite each individual page, and (painfully) slowly engulf the notebook, until there was nothing yet the remains of new ashes.

"Ok, now repeat after me." Asa says, breathing in and out before continuing, "I, your full name, being of sound mind promise to protect the secrets of Anubis House, and stand by my fellow club members, then say our full names." he informs me.

I raise my eyebrow, "do I really have to say your full names? Isn't all of this a little... extra?" I say and Harry laughs beside me and I look at him and smile. I didn't think it was that humorous, but I'm glad my peculiar humor is hilarious to some. And the fact that it made someone kinda cheerful makes me joyful too.

Asa rolls his eyes at me (again), "just do it. Goodness, everything is such hard work with you." he murmers the last sentence to himself; we all still heard it nonetheless.