Malfunction (Shiro's PoV)

We reached the Medical Hanger and placed Keith in a Healing Pod. The particles formed around him, and we went to face Allura and Coran, who were sitting at the control panel, but the second we did, Keith came tumbling out of the Pod. I couldn't catch him in time, and he hit the ground with a loud thud. I picked him up again and held him on my shoulder.
"What just happened? Why didn't he stay in?" I urged. Allura was tapping away at the controls, a confused look on her face.
"This isn't right. It says Keith isn't ill or weakened. It says he's in top notch condition and it's rejecting him." She said.
"That's obviously not true." Hunk said.
"Hah, Keith's even being rejected by a Healing Pod." Lance said. We all glared at him.
"Was that necessary, Lance?" Allura asked. He responded with a shrug.
"It doesn't matter," I said and looked to Pidge. "Pidge, can you see what's wrong with the controls?" Allura and Coran looked at each other.
"That won't be necessary. We already know why it will not allow Keith to heal." Coran said. Hunk, Lance, Pidge and I all looked at the two Alteans.
"Well, don't leave us hanging." Hunk said. Allura sighed.
"Altean Fever."
"I'm sorry what?" Pidge asked.
"It's a virus that affects races like Alteans, Galra, etcetera. It shouldn't affect humans, though..." the princess drifted off into thought.
"What is this fever exactly? Like what are the symptoms? Is it contagious? Are we all gonna die?!" Hunk panicked. Pidge slammed her hand over his mouth.
"Calm down. No one's gonna die. The disease probably mutated or something and infected Keith during our last battle." It was true. Keith had gotten a good slash on his arm and blacked out during the last battle against the Galra, but Shiro had figured that the fainting part was from the pain of the wound and his lion being thrashed and thrown to the ground of the last planet.
"The reason why it's not allowing Keith to heal is because it is Altean tradition to face the fever without help from any outside resources, including the Crystatis Po- Healing Pods." Allura had caught glance of the tilt in Lance's neck, clearly showing he had no clue what cryostasis meant after us almost being out here for a year.
"That aside, how about this; we take Keith to his room and take care of him like we're on Earth? Everyone takes turns helping him out." Everyone nods in agreement, even Lance, but he knew better than to get me even more enraged with him today. Hunk and I carry Keith to his room, but I actually put him onto his bed. His arm hung off the side of the bed, so I picked it up gently and placed it on his chest. He seemed to have been out cold entirely. He almost looked dead...
I placed my hand against his cheek again, only to wince silently to myself. He was even hotter than he was earlier.
"Feel better, Keith." I said quietly as I walked out. Hunk was waiting outside.
"Doesn't look like Keith will be getting better any time today. He's hotter than he was before." I told the worried Paladin. I don't think that made things better.
"Shiro, what if Keith doesn't get better? What if he-" I cut him off before he finished.
"Keith's not gonna die. Not on our watch, at least. You stay here with him for a few minutes until I come back. I need to tell the others how Keith's doing." Hunk saluted me and said,
"Sir. Yes, sir." I rolled my eyes and chuckled under my breath as I walked away. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Hunk smiling like a dork as I turned the corner. I looked forward and bumped into Pidge. Her being shorter than me, I stood my ground and Pidge fell back.
"Whoa, sorry, Pidge." I stuck out my hand and she reached out to it. As she did, I suddenly saw a scene from when I was still a prisoner of the Galra, with my hand extended out to Thace, in front of an ominous pit. I tried to fight him to get back up. I swung my arm and it hit him in the gut, sending him tumbling backwards, but he let go of my hand and I fell backwards, darkness surrounding me as I snapped back to reality. I saw Pidge was now across the room, holding her stomach.
"Oh no. Pidge!" I ran over to her to help her up. "I am so sorry! I don't know what came over me!" I apologized repeatedly as she grabbed onto my shoulder for support.
"I-it's alright, Shiro. I'm more worried about you, though." She said. I looked at her confused.
"What do you mean?" I asked.
"You've been acting strangely a lot lately, zoning out and coming back to reality having done something and not remembering it, and your arm glowing randomly." She said as she pointed to my arm, which had started to glow a bright purple. The glow was fading now, but I could tell how bright it had been.
"What's that?" I asked hesitantly.
"I'm not totally sure, but, not totally sure about this, but you might have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from being a Galra prisoner for so long."
"Post Trau- what?" Pidge sighed and said,
"It's PTSD. When a person goes through a terrifying event, they might get occasional flashes from the past of the event." She looked me in the eye.
"You might have it. And if you do, you need to learn to control your emotions when doing so, or you could very well hurt someone badly." My eyes widened as I realized she was right. The weird dreams, the flashbacks, everything. It fit the description perfectly.
"Or your arm might just be malfunctioning." I gave her an annoyed look.
"What? I'm not a rocket scientist!"
"*sigh* it's fine. You just gave me a scare for a minute. I'm sure it's just a malfunction." I got up and helped Pidge up, too. For real, this time.
"Now that I'm finally off the floor, I want to go run some tests." Pidge asked as she started walking down the hall. I turned to face the direction she was walking.
"Tests for what?" I asked.
"Tests for a syrum to make someone's physical capabilities increase by 50%. I just gotta find my lab ra- I mean Lance." She ran down to find Lance before she even heard my laughter. I walked down to where Allura, Coran, and Lance were talking. Lance was clearly trying to flirt with the princess, but as usual, she turned down every attempt. I laughed under my breath as the three took notice I was there.
"Ah, Shiro. How's Keith?" Coran asked.
"Not good. He's definitely not going to be better by today to say the least." I responded. Lance looked away and said,
"I think I'm gonna head to the mess hall. I'm really hungry. Catch ya later." He said without any eye contact as he left the room. I glared at him, but he didn't notice.
"What's his damage?" I asked.
"Lance isn't damaged. He's just not in the best of moods recently." Allura said, looking at Lance as he exited.
"No, that's not what I- *sigh* nevermind. I just wanted to give you guys a report on how Keith was doing." I said.
"Alright. You might want to go check on him, though." Coran said. I nodded and jogged back down the hall to Keith's room. Hunk was still out there, watching Keith through an open door.
"Hey." I said. Hunk yelped and jumped out of his skin. I shushed him because I saw Keith sleeping restfully on his bed. His arm was under his head, being used as a second pillow, and the blankets were falling off him. He was slightly curled up on his side, but his breath was still uneven. Even in the dimly lit room, I could see his skin was paler than ever, his cheeks almost red, and his face was beaded with sweat. He looked like he was in so much pain...
"Hunk, go grab some water real quick, would you?" I asked. He agreed and bounded down the hall. I walked in quietly, but I guess he could still hear me, because Keith's eyes opened slightly.
"S-Shiro?" He asked. He must've been extremely weak, judging by the faintness of his voice.
"Hey, bud. How are you feeling?" I asked quietly. Keith's response was muddled by the pillow, but I doubt he was in any shape to talk.
"S-Shiro? A-am I g-gonna..." he asked. I crouched down beside him and place my hand on his shoulder.
"No, No. You're going to get better soon, I promise." I said as I rubbed his shoulder. I could tell he was falling asleep already, so I was about to tell him to get some rest when I saw them. In the sheet of darkness that surrounded the room, it was hard to tell at first, but in the darkness, I saw a pair of deep purple, fluffy Galra ears on the sides of Keith's head. They were gone a second after, so I thought that I was just seeing things. I was about to ask Keith, but I looked back at him and saw he was out like a light. His breathing was still uneven, but I wanted to check if he was still feverish. I placed my hand gently on his forehead and felt the heat once again. There was no way he was getting any better at the moment. I got up and thought to myself, "we need to figure out how to cure Keith before he gets worse." I looked down at the sleeping teen and sighed as I whispered,
"Don't worry, Keith. You're gonna get better." I then left Keith in the darkness to rest.