1. JESSICA'S POV

Cold, like ice.

The rain fell, hitting me in the face, as I hid out in the shadows of the trees. It was storming here on earth and while everyone might seek shelter from the weather, I found it a great comfort. It was calming, serene, it was one of the only times I ever really felt at ease. There was something about it that made me love the mere presence of rain drops. The way it came down, forceful and strong, yet delicate at the same time. Perhaps I enjoyed the rain solely because of the past moments it brought down with it. Moments, that for me, are only just memories.

FLASHBACK:

"What the hell are we doing here?! There's a storm coming, didn't you hear the elders talking? We're supposed to be inside, it's not safe out here!"

"Calm down, we'll be okay, I promise. I won't leave you. Just follow me," I took the small hand that was outstretched in front of me, trusting that it wouldn't leave me astray, "it's this way, just a few steps left.

When we came to a stop, I looked in front of me to see the whole of Polis. I could see each of the 12 clans' territories. The fire from their torches in each of their villages burning bright like the stars in the skies. It was calm and peaceful until a rip of thunder sounded and a lightning bolt shot from the black sky.

"Okay, seriously, it's time to go! We're going to get in trouble." I was slowly getting more and more frantic as I felt the first rain drop fall onto my shoulder.

The storm was supposed to be one of the strongest ones we've had in a long time, the elders say the last one happened 8 years ago, the day I was born.

"Relax Jess, it'll be okay." Eyes closed and chin tilted towards the sky, I couldn't help but smile even just a little bit.

"It's starting to rain." The one drop had turned to five, five turned to 15, and now the skies were shedding their tears as it began to pour heavy rain.

I could hear giggling next to me and that took me out of my worried trance. "What's so funny?"

"Jess, you're so stressed over RAIN..."

"I'm not stressed over RAIN, I'm stressed over a STORM! Not just any storm, the strongest storm we've had since 8 years ago!"

Sly looks were thrown in my direction, "right, and what exactly is a storm?"

"When the Gods can't control their anger..." I replied sarcastically.

"No seriously."

"Uh, when the weather is bad? It like, it rains hard."

"SEE!"

"See what?!"

"'It rains hard,' I was right, you're stressed over rain." Laughter erupted from tiny pink lips yet again.

"Okay fine, we can agree I'm stressed over rain. Can we please go now?! Before it gets any worse?"

"Alright, alright cry baby let's go." Sighing thankfully, we turned around and made our way back through the sacred forest back to our territory, with me following behind.

"I'm not a cry baby," I muttered angrily under my breath, "I'm a future warrior."

I could hear the chuckle from in front of me knowing my friend had heard what I so blatantly stated under my breath about being a future warrior.

As we got closer to our clan, the hustle and bustle of the village grew louder. You could hear the footsteps of people gathering things they needed for the storm. The swords of the guards practicing their sport in case it's ever needed they go into war for Her Royal Majesty, Our Queen. The torch lights were bigger and and brighter with each step we took, and as we arrived hand in hand I turned to my friend and smiled.

We had left our village unnoticed by anyone, a risky venture for the two of us but we both knew it was worth every second of it. He returned the warm greeting as he clutched tighter onto my hand, his piercing ice cold blue eyes burning bright with enthusiasm, drive and pure wonderment bore into my dark, almost black, brown eyes. We both took a breath and continued to the gates where a sign welcomed us...AZGEDA.

"I told you we'd be okay, Jess. We didn't even get caught."

Just as we stepped foot through the gates, we were met with the Royal Guards. "My Queen, we've found them."

Her Majesty stood before us, "don't think you two are getting away with it. Jessica, I expected more from you my love," she turned the other way, "as for you...I will deal with you later."

"It wasn't his fault!" I yelped hoping it would ease her up.

"Now be quiet child, I will deal with him later."

"But-"

"That's enough, guards take Jessica back up to her room, I will see you later and we will speak of your consequences as well as your future roles in our society. There is much to do as you are becoming of age. You are almost 10 and therefore your responsibilities will start, understood?"

"Yes, My Queen."

"As for you, you will go to your room and I will speak to you privately. UGH, you disappoint me. Where did I go wrong with you?" She turned to speak with the guards.

The bright blue eyes I loved were now a somber gray as I turned to look at my best friend. "Hey, I'll try to sneak in through your balcony tonight okay?" I tried to give him a small smile of encouragement.

"Yeah, okay, you know the code." He smiled back.

"Yeah. 3 knocks and a tap using my knife, got it. I'll see you tonight?"

"Always. I gotta go now before I get-"

"LET'S GO!" The Queen called out. "SON!"

"The queen calls..." I stated unknowingly why.

"Yeah...I better get goi-"