Prologo

I was playing video games as always when my twin Nymphodora started banging on my door. How did I know it's her? She's the only one who ever knocks at my door. I ignored her because I was just about to complete the mission.

"Master of Fire, cover me for 40 secs," I said into the microphone of my headphones.

"Roger," I heard from the other side.

She knocked again, and I sighed.

"Come in!" I shouted, and she entered, "40 secs," I told her while putting down my joystick, but still keeping my eyes on the TV screen.

"Ehm, I know this is sudden, but tomorrow can you go to school in my place?"

"No,"

"Please hear me out! It's important!" she said desperately and gesticulated with her hands.

"30 secs," I said coldly.

That caught her by surprise. She closed her eyes, took a big breath and started talking.

"Tomorrow there's this once in a lifetime recruitment that dad is so against, but I can't even miss school or dad will find out, and he'll also know about the recruitment, and he'll force me to cancel my enrollment!" She said in one breath, and now she was gasping for air.

She always talks fast, but this time she really overcame herself.

"Please! You don't even have school tomorrow!" She begged. 

Yep, and that's another reason to deny your requests.

"Time's up," I said and resumed playing, after all, you can't pause an online game.

What is she thinking? Well, me dressing as a girl is not that bad of an idea, but her recruiting definitely is. Dad is against her enrollment in the Youth Mafia Fighters for a good reason. It's too dangerous, but Nymphodora is too immature to realise it.

She thinks she can handle everything and solve anything with the power of her fists. Newsflash, muscles without a brain are just useless meat.

I was still playing when a movement near me startled me.

"Emme please, that recruitment is essential for me," she said.

I thought she went away. Guess she must really want that. I hate her whenever she wants something dangerous, which is basically all the time.
Why can't she insist on something less risky like taking part in the sewing club? Which, by the way, is a lovely activity that calms you and relaxes you.

"Please, just this one time and then I'll leave you alone!" Said Nymphodora with her best puppy eyes.

"Fine, but you owe me one," I said and continued playing. Damn her and her puppy eyes. That technique always works on me. From the corner of my eye, I saw her jumping from joy, punching the air and making weird muffled noise.

I chuckled. Despite her being 14, she can get really infantile sometimes. Then I heard her run out of my room, leaving the door wide open.

Now, is it complicated to close the damn door behind you?

I was about to get up when I heard her footsteps getting near, and she irrupted into my room with her school uniform, and a dark brown thing, which I suppose is either a wig or extensions, dangling in her hand.

" Nynphodora I'm busy now, get out." I'll try her uniform later; now I must focus on this game.

"Thanks a lot, bro!" she chirped, and I froze.

I instantly turned to her, and she also seemed shocked by the word she used. She never called anything else other than my nickname Emme.

"Ehm, sorry," she said while positioning her stuff neatly on my bed.

What is she apologising for?

"You can ask me anything in return," she said still avoiding eye contact.

Right. So she still hates me for that thing.

"Then, once this thing is over don't ever talk to me again," I told her coldly and turned my gaze to the screen.

It's better if I don't see her. That way neither of us will get hurt.

I heard her dragging her foot getting near the door.

"Fine, if that's what you want," she said and closed the door behind her.

I sighed. That came out harsher than I intended.

Me and my sister have a strange relationship. Despite being brought up together in the same house we're rather distant, but it wasn't always like this. In fact, we were very close when we were little, but our relationship changed after that accident when we were four years old.

I wish I never trusted that man.

I cringed at the memory and concentrated on the game to divert my mind.

I'm sorry Nymphodora. I was coward back then, and I still am one, but I'll do whatever it takes to make it up to you.