8 - Her stepbrother, my idol [PART 1]

Capitolo otto [Parte uno]

L'idolo

Emme (Menodoros) P.O.V.

It was a big surprise to both me and Nymphodora seeing our brother back home. Last time we had seen him was in summer before he went for military service. By law at least one member of a family must be a soldier.

Apparently mum knew he was coming back, but kept it a secret from us and to be honest it was a great surprise.  Alexis is the illegitimate son, dad had with his human lover. Right, isn't he despicable when he does it knowing he has a family? What angers me most is that he continues meeting his lover and would rather spend time with her than his own family. I huffed and dismissed the angry thoughts not wanting to upset my day. Even if Alexis is my stepbrother and child of that human lover, I don't hate him. Actually, I love him a lot and he's the only good father figure I've had. I'm really happy that he's back.

Unfortunately, our reunion moment was interrupted by another unexpected guest. Sara Della Valle. She's the daughter of dad's cousin and I only see her visiting us whenever Alexis is here. She's the same age as Alexis and I first met her when Alexi started living with us. She used to play with him but because of the age gap between her and Nymphodora and me, she never approached us. So I have no idea what kind of person she is.

I placed the tray containing two slices of cake, green tea for Sara and a mug of hot chocolate for Alexis on the glass table in the living room. Then left to leave them privacy, apparently Sara had something important to discuss with Alexis. Just as I was about to head to kitchen Nymphodora grabbed my arm and jerked me around the corner.

"What are you doing?" I snapped, startled by her sudden pull.

"SHHH!" she hushed me then whispered, "you gotta listen to this!"

"Are you spying on them?"

"I think she wants to marry our brother!" she whisper slash yelled.

"What are you on about?" I asked since that information caught my attention.

"Listen!"

I sighed and with a bored expression continued spying on them. Sara set the cup of tea on the coffee table in front of her and looked at Alexis.

"So, what are your thoughts about this agreement?"

"I'm sorry, but I still need more time to think about this. At this age, a marriage is too much responsibility."

"It's engagement," she corrected and took another sip of her green tea.

"I'm still not convinced."

"I respect your opinion but in the end, it's your father's decision that matters, isn't it?"

Alexis sighed and shifted his gaze to his mug of hot chocolate. I knew exactly what he was thinking. She was right, in the end, it's father's decisions that matters and our opinion is heard only because that's fair. It's a way for him to hide his tyrannic side, by faking a democracy in the family. 

"I guess we're done here," said Alexis as he got up from his seat and placed the mug on the coffee table.

"Did you hear that!" whispered Nymphodora next to me as we were walking away from the living room.

"I didn't know he was getting married."

"We need to stop this!"

"What? Why?" I asked surprised by what she suggested.