5 - Her silence, my secret

Capitolo cinque
Il segreto

The ride was quiet, and I fidgeted my thumbs the whole time while looking at the flashing lights of the occasional car through the windscreen.

With the corner of my eye, I tried to take a glimpse of Romeo who seemed to be focused on the road. Maybe not so much since his eye moved from the road to me and caught me red-handed peeking on him.
Immediately, I diverted my eyes, finding my new heels suddenly very interesting. Romeo chuckled, and blood flowed to my face, painting it red.

"Principessa, why so shy?" he asked amused, with a husky voice.

Oh god, that's so hot. I shuddered at his voice and hearing him say princess next to me had a whole new effect on my body. My throat suddenly felt dry.

"When I ask you a question," he started with a dangerously low voice, "you need to FUCKING ANSWER ME!" he shouted the last part and I shivered from the intensity in his tone.

Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. What did I do?

I started hyperventilating at the thought of having an angry Romeo next to me. Unconsciously I embraced my self. Maybe Nymphadora was right, I had to stay away from this guy.

"S-sorry," I stuttered breathlessly.

"What's wrong with your voice? Can't you breathe?" he asked, genuinely worried and I felt his gaze on me.

Is he bipolar?

"Are you deaf?" he raised his voice.

I need to answer him! But my voice just won't come out.

I slowly shooked my head and bit my bottom lip to refrain from whimpering.

He sighed. "I need a verbal reply."

"N-no," I stuttered.

"Good," he said. "Why she gotta be so difficult," he muttered under his breath, but I caught each word. And it hurt. It upset me.

My eyes filled with tears and big drops were on the verge of falling but I tried not to cry. I bit my bottom lip and squeezed shut my eyes. I tried to be as quiet as possible so that Romeo wouldn't notice my whimperings. And he didn't. Somehow that made me even sadder. But what was I expecting? A blonde, blue eyes and strong prince from the fairytale mom always read me? Maybe he was as handsome and charming as those princes that mom described me, but he wasn't as gentle and protective as them.

I'm just asking for too much. Everyone knows that you can't find people from books in real life. Especially boys like that.

"We're here," stated Romeo as he parked in front of a fancy hotel. Wait. Fancy. Didn't this mean there was a code for clothing? But I'm wearing just casual!

"Princess," called Romeo who was now on my side of the car and happened to open the door for me. He extended his arm offering his open palm.

Okay, maybe he wasn't gentle, and all that but chivalry was still there in him.

I smiled and placed my hand in his palm. And I felt it, that sparkle. It travelled right through my arm and settled in my stomach. That hurricane of emotion I felt this morning, coming back and hitting me hard. I felt my knee weak and stumble forward, but he caught me in his arms.

"Is everything alright?"

His strong cologne invaded my nostrils, and I almost wanted to nuzzle his neck to take more of his smell.

"Y-yeah," I stuttered than cleared my throat. "Yeah, I'm fine."

What was I thinking?! Get a grip on yourself!