7 - Her birthday, my reminder

Capitolo sette
Il sollecito

Emme (Menodoros) P.O.V.

A week passed since the day I've been to my sister's school and Romeo didn't contact me ever since. I tried to convince myself he might be busy, but the fear of him having gotten bored of me made me anxious. After all, I'm not an interesting person and furthermore, I've never told him the truth about me. He still thinks I'm a girl. Our relationship was never stable to start with and if it just abruptly ended now I shouldn't be surprised. I shouldn't be, yet I'm hoping for a miracle because it hurts to think about not seeing him anymore. Had we met under better circumstances, I would have loved to get to know him better and maybe we could have been more.

When I asked Nymphadora about Romeo she answered and I quote, 'The hell should I know!? I'm always glad whenever he disappears for weeks and I always hope he doesn't come back, yet he disappoints me every time.'

She told me it was normal for Romeo to not show up at school from time to time. After all, he wasn't a normal student. From what Nymphodora told, he had graduated two years ago but had to return to the academy for some reasons and although he has been positioned as the academy'sresident, he doesn't get much involved with student life and he's not subject to class attendance.

I sighed and looked one last time at the screen of the iPhone Romeo gave me and closed my eyes at no new message.

There was a knocking at my door before it opened and my mum entered.

"I was expecting to see you busy playing your new video game, not seeing you sulking. It's your birthday, birthday-boy, enjoy the youth, smile a bit, loosen up!" She said cheerfully and sat next to me on the bed.

"Now, what's bothering my baby so much?" cooed my mum and I huffed at her cheesy endearment. Although deep down I like it, I would never admit it.

"It's nothing, I'm just tired," I lied. I think I should get a recognition for being the most dishonest person in the family.

"Alright, I'll let you rest," she said and kissed my forehead before ruffling my hair. Then she stood up and added, "Nymphodora and the others are waiting for you downstairs. She said she won't cut the cake until you join them. I suggest you hurry up before they make a riot over the cake."

A smile formed on my lips at the memory of last year when Aries and Deimos tiered of waiting threw a tantrum over the cake and Endymion started crying and Agape hid from all the noise. The birthday ended with the cake falling on the ground and us having to spend the whole day searching for Agape.

"When you'll feel like talking, know that God blessed me with two good ears," she smiled and closed the door behind her. Mum is always like this, trying to find a way for me to open up to her.

Our birthday fell on the week of holidays. And fate decided that out of all days the 2nd of November would be perfect. The irony of celebrating a birthday on a day we should be remembering the death of beloved ones.

We would celebrate the birthday at morning and in the evening dedicate the rest of the day to our grandmother. I don't have pleasant memories of her. She died when we were still little, and the only memories I can recall were those where she would be mean to Nymphodora and always shouting at either her or dad. Somehow she didn't approve of dad, and I can relate to that. Who would approve of a married man with children having an affair?

I discarded the bad memories not wanting to ruin my day frowning upon my father's mistakes. I got off the bed and opened the first drawer of my nightstand and placed the iPhone inside. That way, hopefully, I won't think about Romeo. I've sent him enough messages for him to think I'm the 'pushy girlfriend' type and if I continue he might seriously think of severing all ties with me.