"Hurt No More"

I returned home after spending some hours at the gym on Saturday to find a box sitting in front of my door. When I bent down and opened it, I saw it was everything I'd ever left at Naomi's plus all the things I'd gotten her over the course of our two-year relationship. I'd already pawned the gold necklace and the promise ring I'd gotten her, but I didn't know what to do with the other gifts like the stuffed animals. I figured I'd just give them to Goodwill as I carried the box into my apartment. It wasn't until I was in the shower that the reality hit me. I'd never see or talk to her again now that she'd returned my belongings and the gifts. I felt so weak for letting that reality get to me.

            "Nigga, what took you so long to come to the door?" Malik asked me after I opened my door. He looked into my eyes and asked, "And why are your eyes bloodshot red? You been cryin'?"

            "Nah," I lied. "I got shampoo in them. I was in the shower, fool. What are you doin' here?"

            "Me and the homies are layin' low so I can't be in the hood right now. I need somewhere to crash and since Shawn's place is a studio apartment..."

            "No, hell no. Malik, you can't stay here. I'm sorry bruh..."

            "It'll only be for a lil' while, Killa. Damn. I caught the bus here and I already got some of my shit."

            "How much shit?"

            He stepped back out into the hallway for a quick second before reappearing with two big duffle bags. He smiled and replied, "This much shit."

            "Man, I don't know, Malik."

            "I hid my piece in a backpack that I placed in a small opening in the back of this building. So, I won't have it up in here if that's what you're worried about."

            "And what about drugs?"

            "I don't have shit on me. You can search me if you want." He held his arms out.

            "You can stay but I don't want none of your goons poppin' up over here. I mean it, Malik."

            "Nobody knows I'm here. I'm just gonna stay here until I get the word."

            "Word? What word?"

            "The word to take out them punk ass Skullz." He stepped all the way into my apartment and closed the door behind himself.

            "So, you're gonna kill them?"

            "They're the ones who started it, Killa. They know not to fuck with us."

            "Whatever, man. Just keep that shit away from here. I actually like livin' here. I don't need the people in this buildin' to think I'm some fuckin' reckless criminal."

            "Nigga, chill. Damn." He flopped down on my sofa and kicked off his shoes. "Once we smoke them fools, the streets will belong to us again."

            "Hmm, I wonder whatever happened to settlin' shit man to man without a need for a gun? Oh yeah, sorry ass niggas like yourself would rather pick up a gun instead of winning some shit with your own two fists."

            "Bruh, why are you trippin'?"

            "I'm not trippin'. All I'm sayin' is if I need to handle some shit, I can do it with just these." I held my fists up. "That way I ain't gotta worry about hittin' some innocent kid standin' at the wrong place at the wrong time." The moment I said that, I immediately thought of Jamari's boyfriend who was killed that way.