"Forever the Champ"

I was worried out of my mind as I waited for Malik to come to. He'd passed out while Jamari was stitching up the knife cuts on his chest and stomach. I didn't even care that he'd gotten blood on my bed. I just wanted him to be okay. When it had been an hour since he'd passed out, I picked up my phone to call 911. Just as I was dialing, he woke up and told me, "Put that phone down, nigga. I ain't dead."

            "Bruh, you scared the shit outta me," I told him. "I'll go tell Jamari you're up."

            "Wait. Khalil, did I hear you right earlier? Did you say that lil' dude was...your boyfriend?"

            I sighed and revealed, "Yeah, you heard right. Bruh, if you're gonna trip then at least wait until Jamari is gone. I don't want him hearin' you say..."

            "The only thing I wanna say to him is thank you."

            "So, you're not mad that I'm bi?"

            "Nigga, we're brothers. I'm mad that you ain't tell me sooner, but I ain't mad that you are."

            "I just figured it out myself to be honest with you. I was curious for a minute, even when I was with Naomi. Then I met Mari and it's been cool as fuck gettin' to know him. The relationship is still new but it's goin' good. I'm bisexual and I've accepted it now. I'm not ashamed. Are you really cool with it?"

            "Khalil, after all the shit we done been through you know I'm not gonna trip over somethin' like that. Hell, I woulda been ready to fight you if you would've had that lowdown bitch Naomi back up in here." He laughed a little and then started coughing. After calming back down, he asked, "Does Shawn know?"

            "Yeah, he's known for a while now."

            "Of course you'd tell him before me."

            "Nah, it wasn't like that. He caught me kissin' Jamari one night and I explained it to him. I would've told you but we fell out and shit. About that, I'm sorry, bruh."

            "Dawg, you got nothin' to apologize for. I'm the one that fucked up. I'm the one that wouldn't listen and shit. I'm the one..." He got choked up as he continued, "I'm the one that's gotta live with the image of seein' that family gettin' killed. I let a family die, man. I ain't shit."

            "Malik, don't say that."

            "Nah man, I really ain't shit. Why did you even let me in here tonight? You should've left my ass out in the hallway to bleed to death."

            "Malik, that's enough! You made a mistake by bein' around them niggas but you're out of it now. You're done with them. They jumped you so that means you're out, right?"

            "Yeah, but..."

            "Then that's the end of it. Fuck them niggas, man. They were never your boys. Me and Shawn; we're your boys. We're your brothers. We love you, man." I gave him a quick hug and told him, "Get some rest. You can stay here for as long as you need to. Just don't have no thots up in my fuckin' bed, nigga." I laughed and playfully hit him.

            "Like I can get some pussy all cut up and shit like this." He yawned and told me, "Thanks, Killa. And tell shorty out there I said thank you."

            "Alright, bruh. Just get you some rest. Everything is gonna be cool." I stood up from the bed and watched him until he fell asleep. I then left my room and quietly closed the door before going into my kitchen where Jamari was making sandwiches.