"Next Level"

I was working a security shift for this private party downtown on a Friday night when out of nowhere, Naomi approached me. I honestly didn't know how to feel seeing her after so much time had passed. She looked good. Her hair was all pinned up and she was wearing a silk black dress and black stilettos. She separated from her friends to come talk to me at my security booth. After waiting for them to step onto the elevator, she finally said the first thing to me in over two months.

            "You look great," she told me while clutching her purse." Then again, you always look great in your security uniform."

            "You look good, too," I replied.

            "Khalil, I know we left off on a bad note the last time we spoke but I just wanna say thank you."

            I gave her a look before asking, "For what?"

            "When you kicked me out of your apartment, I had a wakeup call. I'm now celibate and I'm not even dating. I've decided to take some time to get to know what I want. But if I'm going to be honest, then I need to tell you that I do still love you and I have hope that with time, we'll find our way back to each other."

            "Naomi, I don't..."

            "I know it sounds crazy now but me and you have so much history, baby. I can still feel our connection, even right now while we're standing in front of each other."

            "Naomi, that's not gonna happen. I'm not..."

            "All I have to do is work on myself and..."

            "Naomi, I'm with somebody!"

            Finally, she stopped and let what I said sink into her mind. I could see it in the way the look on her face changed instantly. After a few seconds of silence, she looked back into my eyes and said, "Men cheat on women all the time and it's supposed to be okay. The moment a woman gets something on the side, you can't handle it."

            "Oh, so you're gonna turn this into some bullshit woman empowerment moment. I was wondering when you'd pull that."

            "Khalil, I honestly thought you were different than that. You're a boxer but I've always thought you were above the fragile masculinity mindset. But nope, here you are."

            "This has nothin' to do with my masculinity, Naomi. Trust me, I'm still the same Khalil Harris. I've always been me. Your little irrational argument makes no sense because I never cheated on you or thought about cheatin' on you. I was faithful. I was loyal. You're the one who decided to let some random nigga fuck you raw. You're the one who got an abortion because you didn't know if me or him was the daddy. You did more than just cheat on me."

            "The fact that you keep dwelling on it is proof that my theory is right."

            "You sound stupid as fuck. And where is the nigga you cheated on me with? Huh? Is he comin' to this party tonight?"

            "I haven't spoken to Craig since the night he fucked you up with that brick. Since we're now talking about him, you should listen to what's being said on social media."

            "What the fuck are you talkin' about?"

            "Craig's cousin, Amir. He's a boxer from Jersey and he's been quite mad about you pummeling Craig's face the way you did that night. He's been calling you out for a few weeks now."

            "So, I don't give a fuck."

            "He's challenged you to a boxing match, Khalil. I suggest you Google it."