29// burgundy lips

A huge thank you to HayleBales for showing so much love to both Nova's story and Eva's storyyour comments literally make me grin so hard at the screen ;)

A huge thank you to HayleBales for showing so much love to both Nova's story and Eva's story ❤ your comments literally make me grin so hard at the screen ;)

BURGUNDY LIPS

"HOW DOES SHE KNOW THAT YOU LOVE HER, HOW DO YOU SHOW HER YOU LOVE HER, HOW DOES SHE KNOW THAT YOU REALLY REALLY TRULY LOVE HER —"

"NOVA!" Caroline's voice boomed from upstairs, where she was probably trying to take a nap or watch an episode of Grey's Anatomy. "Shut your goddamn mouth right now or I swear to god —"

"—DOES HE LEAVE A LITTLE NOTE TO TELL YOU YOU'RE ON HIS MIND, SEND YOU YELLOW FLOWERS WHEN THE SKY IS GREY —" Nova couldn't stop singing at the top of her lungs, her head stuck in a bubble of euphoria and she never wanted it to burst. In her state of mind, it didn't occur to her that the kitchen window was open and that her voice could float outside.

"I am going to hunt down the godforsaken pig who writes you these notes and —"

"EVERYBODY WANTS TO LIVE HAPPILY EVER AFTER, EVERYBODY WANTS TO KNOW THEIR TRUE LOVE IS TRUEEEE —" 

"HEY, YA LOATHSOME LITTLE PUNK!" A disgruntled Mr Craig stuck his head out of his bedroom window, and Nova froze, having a perfectly clear view from where she stood by the kitchen sink. His beady eyes had a maniacal gleam. "EVERYBODY ALSO WANTS TO SLEEP PEACEFULLY EVER AFTER AND EVERYBODY ALSO WANTS TO KNOW THEIR NEIGHBOURS ARE AWARE ITS A SATURDAY MORNING!"

And with that, he retreated back into his home and slammed his window shut. Nova could've sworn the glass cracked.

Upstairs, Caroline was having a hysterical laughing fit.

Stupid Mr Craig, Nova cursed, maybe daddy didn't give him enough enough candies growing up.

×××

"What time does the party start?" Caroline inquired, her eyes scanning the PDF document on her laptop, a steaming mug of black coffee right next to it on the countertop.

"Probably already has," Nova muttered distractedly as she secured the earring on her left ear.

She didn't see the sense in arriving right on time at parties. She preferred walking in when things were already in mid-swing. Arriving early meant awkward small conversations and arriving when the party was in full-swing meant struggling through the crowd for a solid thirty minutes to even enter the freaking house.

So mid-swing it was.

"I like that colour," her sister smiled, "looks particularly good on you."

Nova was wearing a burgundy halter neck blouse with a really low back paired with figure-hugging cream coloured jeans that showed off her endless legs.

"Thanks," she smiled warmly, her good mood since this morning was still evident in the way she felt her fingers buzz and her heart thump.

She swept her eyes over her reflection on the mirror above the mantelpiece one last time, soft blonde curls framing her heart-shaped face and her lips tinted a dark shade.

Ping.

towintheheartofhart@gmail.com
I take it you're going to the party tonight?

novahart06@gmail.com
Yeah... Wait, you're gonna be there?

Nova thought her heart had jumped to her throat.

towintheheartofhart@gmail.com
Hmm. Am I? :P

Smiling to herself, because part of her enjoyed the little game, she grabbed her keys, kissed her sister's cheek and left the house.

_______________________________________

I don't know why, but I'm so excited for you guys to read the next two chapters :D