50// little red dress

For arielleeexo
Thanks for all the love and fangirling <3

For arielleeexoThanks for all the love and fangirling <3

LITTLE RED DRESS

    "Caroline, I think I'm going to die," Nova declared, wearing an expression that showed she truly believed what she was saying.

    "Stop being a drama queen, Nova," Caroline sighed, "you aren't going to die."

    "Well, I am going to get a heart attack, you don't know how crazily its beating right now... Its just —ugh!" She threw her hands in the air, tipping her head back. "This is madness."

    Tonight was the night.

    And Nova was so, so close to losing her goddamn mind.

    Her eyes fell on the small calendar stand on her vanity — June 09th, this was going to go down in Nova's books as the night she'd always remember.

    Then why did it feel so wrong?

    Sure, Nova could feel her senses buzzing with the thrill of finally getting to see the boy who'd made her smile to herself, made her wear irises in her hair and showered her with gummy bears.

    But...

    There was a ‘but’, and that bothered Nova.

    But John didn't know she couldn't decide between biscotti and cookie dough ice cream sometimes. John didn't pick up on the fact that she was having a bad day and say something stupid to make her smile. John didn't tuck strands of her hair behind her ear when the wind blew it into her face. John gave her butterflies, but not butterflies with hobnailed boots— not dragons.

    John didn't have green eyes that could burn into hers and set her soul on fire.

    And John most certainly didn't wear stupid T-shirts with supernatural references that made absolutely no sense to her.

    But Graham did.

    She shut her eyes tightly, hoping the bizarre turn of thoughts would go away... It didn't though.

    It couldn't.

    When she opened her eyes, she was still standing there in the middle of her room, right in front of the full-sized mirror, her reflection staring back at her with a conflicted face and troubled turquoise eyes.

    Her eyes swept over the long mane of blonde hair cascading down her shoulders and back, hours spent on giving it more volume than it normally had.

    Her hourglass figure was clad in a wine-red dress with a halter neck that exposed her delicate shoulder blades. The plain bodice was snug and tight-fitting, and the dress flared out from her waist, the material flowing freely until it came to a stop a few inches above her knees.

    She didn't wear any makeup, except for a thick coat of eyeliner and a dark shade of red lipstick.

    She thought she looked nice. Heck, Nova knew she looked gorgeous. She just wasn't feeling it tonight.

    For one wild second, she found herself wishing Graham could see her like this, right now. Much to her growing disappointment though, he wasn't attending the dance.

    "Second thoughts?" Caroline's voice pierced through the fog settled around her head.

    "No," Nova answered confidently, but she was beginning to wonder if perhaps her tough-as-nails facade was doing her more harm than good. Because, yes, hell yes, Nova was having second thoughts.

    Caroline was about to say something else when the doorbell rang, a sharp and shrill sound in the quiet house.

    "I'll get it," her sister muttered as she got off the bed and walked out of Nova's room.

    "Nova!" Caroline called a few seconds later.

    "Yeah?" Nova yelled back, debating on whether she'd rest her hair over her right or left shoulder. She could never decide which was her good side.

    "There's someone here to see you! I'll be in my room, okay?"

    "Yeah, sure!" Nova frowned to herself, knowing that Addy was most likely still getting dressed at her own place and there was literally nobody else who'd come at this time for her.

     With one last glance at her dolled-up reflection, she left her room, ready to meet the unexpected visitor.

_____________________________________

The next handful of chapters are going to be pretty tense, i guess.

Also, when are your birthdays? If you feel uncomfortable putting it out here in public, its alright, you need not answer :D