39// john doe

This is for each and every one of you; silent readers and the crazy ones. Y'all got me to #88 today and I don't know how else to thank you other than sending another update your way.
Thank you, again. The writer only creates the storyits the readers that breathe life into it <3

 The writer only creates the story — its the readers that breathe life into it <3

JOHN DOE

    "We're going to CeCe's Creamery, you coming yeah?"

    Nova looked over her shoulder as she zipped up her sports bag on one of the benches in the locker room, meeting Addy's eyes. Monica had long since gone home after their little chat and Nova herself had just finished showering and dressing.

    "Sure," Nova said, ready anytime for some ice cream. "What's the occasion?"

    Addy lifted her hands in a who-gives-a-shit gesture. "We're just hanging out."

   "Who's tagging along?" Nove undid the hair tie securing her blonde locks in a ponytail, letting it fall around her face and shoulders.

    "Aubs, Piper, Ty, Graham of course, Gabe, few other guys on the team... Maybe even some of my girls," she rattled off. "Does it matter anyway?"

    Nova laughed lightly, "nope. You're enough." She grinned.

    Addy merely rolled her eyes, "want some toast with that butter?"

    "I don't need to butter you to get something done, Addy."

    "Are you saying I'm manipulatable?"

    "Your words, not mine."

    "You little minx—"

    Ping.

    Addy's insults died in her throat as her eyebrows shot into her hair and she looked at Nova expectantly.

    "Please tell me I won't have to watch you get all mushy at the ice cream parlour. Tell him you're out with friends, that he can steal your attention later."

    Nova's cheeks warmed. It's been happening a lot lately, the blushing and the butterflies.

    "Listen, I... I was thinking that maybe you need to get started on that list of yours," Nova said carefully, her fingers suddenly fidgeting with Addy's hair.

    Addy's face softened, picking up on Nova's anxiousness. Nova had a tell for when she was nervous; she needed to reach out and fidget with something. Smoothen a surface. Straighten a crooked object.

    Just like she kept patting down stray strands of Addy's hair right now.

    "Maybe start figuring out potential John Does so that I... I can —" Nova struggled for the words. "I don't know. I think I'm ready to meet him. At least know his identity."

    "No problem," Addy nudged her in the side, "we'll tear the whole town apart in this search if we have to."

    Nova laughed, happy and relieved. Then, linking her arm with Addy's, they walked out the locker room together and towards their cars.

    Nova could do with some ice cream right now, to drown away the nagging worry in her gut with something cold and sugary.

______________________________________

I love you all the way Nova loves gummy bears. xx