Chapter 10

I wasn't ready to face the firing squad, but who is ever ready for that? The Valentinos were not The Sopranos, I knew that much, although certain situations could have been avoided if people just talked to each other.

I had already switched from coffee to a Shirley Temple when Vincent's laptop blinked to life. Colin's smiling mug popped up first, which had me grinning back. I could always count on him to lighten the mood, but the other faces around him were not so light.

Charleton and Jonathan sat on either side of Colin, and both wore smiles I saw right through, while Wren and Amelia huddled in the background, faking it. Damn. Maybe this was The Sopranos.

"Hi Reese. I'm glad to see you're still in one piece," Colin joked.

"Were you expecting my cremated remains? I'm fine. And I'm convinced I will never live underground. How are you?"

"My sleep schedule is shit, but it's been uncharacteristically quiet around here. More free time to worry about you."

"Thank you for that endearing greeting, Colin." Vincent slipped his fingers between mine as he usurped the conversation. "Did you get the contract from our European friends?"

"We're waiting for one more signature, but everything should be in my hands by noon."

"Good catch on that, by the way," Vincent said. "You found what my team missed. Saved the foundation six figures."

I watched Colin's face light up, although he tried to hide it. "Well, the foundation deserves it more than those greedy bastards."

Charleton patted Colin's shoulder roughly. "Everyone came out winners, Colin. Now, let's hear what these two have to share with us. Reese, tell us about your experience in the hive."

I looked at Vincent at the same time he looked at me and I felt like wetting my pants. "Well, the reception I got was mixed, some were less happy to meet me than others, and there was one incident where a girl tried to put my lights out while I was sleepwalking, but other than that... an informative visit. I could have done without the spelunking aspect. I'm not a fan of caves or tunnels, but they have the best shower in existence. It's in an aquifer."

"So, one temp fits all?" Colin said. "How cold was it?"

"Not too bad once your skin went numb."

"What about light?" Wren asked from her position behind Charleton. "Do they really use the eternal flame?"

"Yes, they do. And the queen's chamber looks like an orange lantern made of honeycomb. Completely sci-fi. That's where I talked to Cecile and her daughter, Hadria. They're after an amulet with supernatural powers. Cecile asked my birth mother to steal it, but it never made it to the hive. Apparently, my mother's hybrid nature gave her privileges in churches and temples."

"That's right," Charleton said, bringing his face closer to the screen and nudging Colin aside. "Hybrids and their gollum parents have always been welcome on sacred soil. So, Cecile wants you to get this amulet for her, I take it?"

"Yes, and she gave me a list of places she thinks it might be. Specifically, she believes it's in the hands of my grandmother at a convent in Chicago, or with a domus nearby."

"And what form does this amulet take?" Charleton pressed. "Can you describe it to me."

I gestured to Vincent, since he seemed to know more about the piece than me. "It's a pre-seventeenth century Seal of Solomon forged in gold."

"Oh?" Something passed between Charleton and Vincent, and I speed read their faces. They knew about the amulet. "What does Cecile plan to do with this supernatural artifact once you give it to her?" Charleton asked.