Chapter 20

Vincent's apartment had been chosen to host the magisters, and despite the less than pleasant circumstance, I felt a satisfying sense of returning home when we arrived. Only the Valentino females were there. Griffin and Amelia bustled around the dining table, setting up refreshments, while Wren and Lucy huddled over trays of freshly baked cookies in the kitchen. The whippets bowled me over at the front door, and I knelt to give them easy access to my face for kisses.

"Reese! You're here! I'm so glad you're here!" Griffin's voice preceded her as she ran over and slid across the foyer tiles on her knees, colliding with me before sweeping me into her lean but strong arms. "We made chocolate chip cookies because I remember you liked chocolate from the Kahlua chocolate cheesecakes. Bonnie and Clyde have missed you. Whenever I bring them home to feed them, they always look in the spare room before they go looking for Vincent. Isn't that funny?"

Griffin's habit of speaking as if she only had one breath to do it was endearing, and I hugged her extra tight, letting her know I meant it.

"The cookies smell delicious," I said, glancing at Wren and Lucy as they watched us from the counter. Lucy walked over and held out her arms, waiting for me to stand so I could receive her hug. 

"It's good to see you again, Reese," she said. "That turtle neck looks lovely on you. Is it cashmere? Let me know if there's anything I can get you. We're setting out heavy hors d'oeuvres and beverages."

I fumbled self-consciously with the neck of my cashmere cover up, the one I'd used to hide the punctures. "I could go for a coffee. I think Vincent had a few hazelnuts in his stash before I left."

Lucy patted my arm, looking pleased that I'd asked her for something. "You just relax and leave it to me." She glanced up at Vincent, who stood in his foyer looking stoic and a little awkward. "Hello, Vincent. You have a healthy glow. Love looks good on you." Lucy lifted onto her toes and Vincent bent down so she could kiss his cheek, then she turned to hustle back into the kitchen.

I held out my hand to Vincent, and he blinked a couple of times before letting me lead him into his living room. His phone buzzed and he looked at the screen just as Amelia walked over to greet me.

"Hi, Reese. Welcome home." She pulled me into her arms and whispered at my ear. "We've all got your back."

I knew her comment was meant to reassure me, but it only reminded me about my approaching doom. "Thanks, Amelia. I feel better just being here with everyone. I'm glad the meeting is in Vincent's apartment. If things get out of hand, I can lock myself in his bathroom."

"Your scent is pretty strong, but with everyone in the room, there will be plenty to mask it. Nobody is going to go beastial, if that's what you're worried about."

"I was actually talking about the conversation turning ugly, but since you mentioned the scent... Is it that bad?"

"No stronger than it was before you went to the hive, but it's not the Lassiters or the Cromwells we need to be concerned about. It's Boris Seacrest."

Amelia left me with that comforting thought, joining Griffin at the dining table where more plates of food were being added to the spread. I felt a tug on my hand and Vincent pulled me onto his lap. 

"Don't worry about my grandfather," he said. "He may be a tyrant, but he would not lay a hand on a female."

"Even a female demon? Don't tell me he has never taken one down during battle."

"I don't recall the subject ever coming up. Speaking of my tyrannical grandfather, he's on his way to the apartment."

I stiffened and tried to pry loose from his iron grip. "Vincent, is it wise to flaunt our love in front of him? Don't you think I should be somewhere other than your lap?"