Chapter 30

With the council's threat hanging over our heads like fallout from a dirty bomb, we walked the streets of Verona, each of us making attempts at benign conversation. When we hit the Ponte Pietra bridge, we ducked into a restaurant of the same name, welcomed by the host's friendly smile and seated at a table with a view of the Adige River. The romance of it took my breath away, but romance was currently fighting a battle with angst.

"What time does the train leave for Venice?" Sylvie asked.

"Five-fifteen," Vincent said as he hid behind his menu. "The trip takes just over an hour. We'll take a vaporetto to my rental."

"Cool. I've never been on a vaporetto." Sylvie glanced uneasily at me. I could tell she felt guilty about knowing too much.

The waiter arrived promptly, distracting us with drink orders, but an uncomfortable silence lingered in his absence, and I went ahead and did that soul searching Adamo asked me to do. Did I want to raise Vincent's children? Was he worried our child might sprout horns? Would I be a good mom? I glanced at Vincent to find him staring at me with a lost look. Adamo had hit him below the belt with the whole viable offspring crap. Was the lover's suite Adamo's way of saying 'Enjoy it while it lasts'?

Colin finally filled the void, leaning across the table on his elbows. "I'm sorry I was rendered mute in the hearing, Vincent."

"We already decided you would say nothing, to leave you completely inculpable," Vincent told him. "I knew you had my back."

"Um, are we still going shopping before we hit the train station?" Sylvie said, glancing tentatively between me and Vincent. "It's okay if you two don't feel like it."

"Of course, we shop," Vincent said. "That was on the agenda, right after enjoying a fine Italian meal with friends." He raised his glass of water and we all did the same, ignoring the elephant sitting between us.

My hand worked its way onto Vincent's knee and remained there until we finished our meals. Afterwards, we found a quaint shopping plaza and Vincent dragged me inside a jewelry shop, forcing me to look for something I liked.

"No rings," I said. "I don't want to freak my parents out."

"If you insist." I felt Vincent's grin against my temple as he stood next me at the jewelry case. "What about something with color? You've complained about all the black you're encouraged to wear. That Jaipur bracelet would look nice on your wrist."

He pointed through the glass at a mixed gemstone bracelet in turquoise, plum and olive, connected by delicate strands of gold. The tag attached showed the price clearly, and I blinked at it a couple times to make sure I got the numbers right. Both the bracelet and price were stunning. Apparently, I had been staring at it a good while.

"So, you like it?" Vincent said.

"Who wouldn't like it? I mean, look at those clean lines. And the color scheme is inspired."

"We'll take it." Vincent wore a smile that could have inspired world peace as he gestured to the sales woman, and I was left blinking again, only this time Vincent's twinkling eyes had me stunned.

"Hey Reese, look at these Jaipur earrings," Sylvie said, pointing them out. "Turquoise and amethyst set in gold. They'd pair nicely with the bracelet."

"Keep your wet dreams to yourself. I'm a simple gal," I told her, as I slipped my hand through Vincent's arm and followed him to the cash register.

"Aw, c'mon. you have a rich boyfriend. And amethyst is my birthstone."

"Then I'll buy them for you." Colin gestured to a second clerk who had been waiting in the wings, and the man rushed forward to accommodate him.