Chapter 53

For some reason, Vincent decided to bring his work into the dining room. Of course, he wasn't picky about where he commanded his empire, so I didn't read too much into it, or the large brandy he cradled in his palm. Despite the stellar sex he had compliments of his mate, who was definitely not white fish, Vincent returned from his afternoon meeting in a grumpy mood. I didn't even mention it was Friday night and we had nothing planned. I was starting to feel like an old married woman. Oh, who was I kidding? My life barreled down the tracks like a runaway train.

Sylvie called just as I was about to interrupt Vincent's sulk. "It's Friday, mamacita! Are we on for a night of wild abandon?"

"Um, that's going to be a definite maybe," I offered as I stood from the couch to pace.

She huffed through the phone, although she sounded more winded than angry. I could hear heavy foot traffic nearby. "C'mon. I moved to this fabulous city to reunite the dynamic duo."

"I figured you and Colin would have made plans already."

"I don't want to bug Colin every time I need a partner in crime. Besides, he has plans to hang out with Adam."

"Oh, so I'm you're second choice? I see where I stand now."

"Don't turn the tables on me, Miss Thing. If you don't want to hang out, just say so." I heard the drone of subway noise through my phone and Sylvie grunted. "Boy, I miss the Metro. It smelled better."

"Hey, don't dis our fine subway system. Is Rizzo with you?"

"Yes. He's pretending not to know me so he doesn't blow his cover. So, are we hanging out or not?"

I glanced across the room at Vincent's hunched form and offered my muffled reply. "Let me get back to you. Vincent is being grumpy."

"Since when has your boyfriend's mood played a role in our nights out?"

"Since I found a boyfriend who gives a shit about me."

"Fair point. I'll let you handle the big guy. Talk to you later."

When I hung up, Vincent stopped obsessing over his laptop and caught me in a long distance gaze. "Grumpy, huh? Are my moods that obvious?"

"Pretty much, but at least I don't have to second guess you all the time."

I offered a guilty smile as I shuffled out of the kitchen, and he stood from his chair, gesturing to the couch with his brandy. "If you want to go out with Sylvie, I won't stop you, but I was going to suggest..."

"I know. I'll take a gollum escort."

Vincent sat down and motioned me onto his lap. "I was going to say you could spend a quiet evening at home with your boyfriend who gives a shit about you."

"That sounds promising." My phone rang just as I leaned over to kiss Vincent on his brandy-laced lips, and we both turned to look as Christoph's name flash on the screen. "He might have news about Willem."

Vincent waved me on and I answered as I engaged the speakerphone. 

"Hi, Christoph. What's up?"

"Hey, Reese. I wanted to let you know that Willem will be released from the hospital in the morning. That is, if they can keep him in bed until then. He's been a real pain-in-the-ass."

"He sounds like another old fart I know."

"They want him to start physical therapy but he refuses."

"Do you think he needs it?"

"Not really. I'm more worried about his spirit. He's hurting about Cecile and the hive, and I suck at motivational speeches."

Lovely. A depressed demon nursing a severe battle wound and a broken heart. "Should I talk to him?"