Chapter 14

Shower sex had always ranked high on my Oh, yeah. That's the spot list, and when the timing is less than perfect, like when Aunt Red has her feet up on the ottoman and a fire burning in the hearth, that's when the water component of a shower is most helpful.

Vincent made no excuses for his possession, which was what I labeled it. From the moment he hauled me off the couch, to the point where he was hammering me while chanting my name, Vincent controlled the situation. But, I never felt violated or forced, only loved, and when we snuggled under the spray enjoying the afterglow, he told me how desperately he needed me in his life, admitting to his jealous behavior but never apologizing for it.

The sun found us sleeping on the couch, slipping between the crack in the curtains and assaulting me in the face. It took me a while to pull away from Vincent, and I stood to shake my numb arm back to life. I got the coffee maker brewing and rummaged through my jars of artisanal honey. Funny thing about the demons and bees. It seemed my love of honey came from my grandfather's genes, which might also explain the vague memory I had of a female letting me stick my finger into a honey pot. Was it my birth mother?

"Have you ever attended a church service?" I asked Vincent as I watched him rise and stretch in one sinuous, sexy movement.

"More times than I cared to. All of them obligatory. It's usually a pastor asking me after the Valentinos fund a restoration."

"So, your family doesn't attend church regularly?"

"No. There are many human interests that gollums don't share. Religion is one of them."

"Is there a reason for that?"

"Yes," he said as he ran his fingers through his hair, making him look even sexier.

"And? Can you share the reason, or is that confidential?" I quirked my brows, causing him to do the same.

"Do you really want to talk about religion?"

"Well, it is Sunday, and I have been known to attend church with my family on occasion. At four o'clock they play Spanish mass music at Saint Patrick's Cathedral. No preaching, just the tunes."

I left my thinly vailed offer out there for Vincent to chew on while I pulled out coffee mugs and half and half, setting them on the counter.

"A bit of Spanish music might be nice before we pick up Sylvie," he said. "Scooby said he'll have her on the roof by six."

"So, it's a date? You, me and Saint Patrick listening to Spanish hymns?"

"Sure. Just don't ask me to sing."

As if the world decided to cut me some slack, Vincent and I spent a quiet Sunday staying in and vegging. He fielded one call from Australia, where it was already Monday, and Griffin called wanting to talk to me. After telling me all about Bonnie and Clyde's hijinks, she made me promise we would see each other soon no matter what happened with the domus situation. 

"I asked Bates to bring over some clothes and personal items," Vincent said as he popped off a text from our reclined position on the couch.

Oh, Bates. The Valentino's housekeeper who hated me for encroaching on his territory.

"When is that slated to happen?"

Vincent stood and pocketed his phone. "Right now."

"So, Bate's is a Guy Friday as well as your housekeeper?"

"He likes to avail himself in any and all capacities."

"Any and all capacities, huh? What are you trying to tell me, Vincent?"