Chapter 40

Blessed Trinity Convent stood like a monument in stained glass, fronting a canal on one side and casting a dramatic shadow on a park to the east. Set idyllically among the trees, actual stone buttresses arched away from a massive A-frame, with scalloped gables and ceramic tiles circling the spire in a rust-tinted aquamarine. The structure forced every person with sight to gaze upon it in awe. Orgasmic architecture is what my school mates would have called it.

I didn't have any expectations for the place, having no memory of my first home, but when we reached the inner courtyard and the heavy front door swung into its frame, that's when I felt it all come together. Peace... and warmth, although some of the warmth probably came from central heating. I immediately gravitated to a wishing well centered amid a collection of potted peace lilies. Overhead, a stained glass skylight bathed everything in rainbows, and water trickled inside the well, filling the room with echoes.

A round-faced nun popped around the corner as we removed our coats, and she smiled sweetly at Ruben. "How nice to see you, Ruben. How is the family?"

"We're all in good health. Thank you, Sister Sharon." Ruben's polite greeting rolled off his tongue as easily as his smart remarks, making me wonder how often he had to switch roles.

"Ah, but physical health only gives us half the story." Sister Sharon's eyes twinkled as she provoked Ruben, and his face flushed a little.

"If I told you any more I would have to go to confessional." Ruben's innocent grin appeared to be his cure-all, and Sister Sharon released him from her scrutiny, turning to twinkle at me and Vincent.

"You two must be Vincent and Reese. Welcome to Blessed Trinity. Petula is expecting you. Follow me, please."

Sister Sharon led us into a wide hallway, at least it might have felt wide to a four-year-old, and on the wall hung pictures drawn by children, possibly Sunday school students. Right away, I felt more relaxed, seeing the less serious side of church. Not far into our walk, Sister Sharon stopped at a small room with outdated furnishings, although still comfortable, and I relaxed into a loveseat, pulling Vincent down with me. It was a tight fit, but that appeared to be a metaphor for us anyway.

"See. Nothing to it," Ruben said as he dropped into a chair across from us. "I can't wait to see the look on Petula's face when you tell her who you are."

Vincent squeezed my hand. His reminder to tread carefully.

"I'm just worried I'll hurt her feelings," I said. "She's my grandmother and I don't remember her. That'll be tricky to explain."

He chuckled. "You won't hurt her feelings. She's a tough old bird."

"How do you know her?"

"My mom went to Catholic school in India and she wanted to inflict the same education on her only child. I attended school down the road at Sacred Faith until I was old enough to put a stop to it. Petula is the only one I come back to visit."

"What does she teach?"

"She doesn't teach any one subject. She mostly watches and gives you insight about yourself. You know, the stuff nuns do."

"Did you ever get smacked on your ass with a ruler?"

Ruben laughed. "You might want to monitor your language here."

"Damn, that's my nerves talking."

Vincent leaned into my ear. "Ego in pace. Say it with me."

I indulged him, repeating the mantra out loud while Ruben gave his thumbs-up. In the midst of my chanting, a nun padded into the room. She stood at least six feet, a formidable figure when considering the habit she wore, and her wizened face looked like it held many deep thoughts.