Chapter 26

Waking to the smell of coffee and a bare-chested Vincent had to be one of the highlights of my morning. Despite the consistent drama playing out, I could always count on his warm and sexy welcome.

"That shirt doesn't hide anything," he said, eyeballing my VS sleep tee as he handed over my coffee. I thanked him with a kiss on his chin.

"It isn't meant to. My mom is due to call at ten, so put your lewd thoughts back into your pants and give me twenty minutes."

I left Vincent adjusting his hard-on and carried my coffee onto the balcony. The temp was on the chilly side, so I ducked back in and grabbed a blanket from the linen closet, wrapping my shoulders as the phone rang in my hand.

"Hi, mom. How are you?" I blurted my usual greeting as I walked outside and shut the door.

"Hi, Reese. I suppose I can't complain."

Oh, crap. The monotone greeting. I should have prepared. This was November. The month Theo died.

"Are we still on for Thanksgiving this week? Vincent and I are good to go... and Sylvie, if you've got the space."

It took Mom a moment to respond, which meant her mind could have taken her to any number of places.

"Sylvie is always welcome. She still hasn't heard from her mother?"

"No."

"Oh, that's too bad." I heard a sniffle, and she blew her nose away from the phone. "It isn't always wine and roses, but family is family. Thanksgiving is all I think about these days. I have come to welcome the distraction."

She paused and I struggled for what to fill the silence with, but all I could do was swallow.

"I'll harvest the squash Tuesday, barring any weather mishaps," she finally went on. "And, I've already ordered the honey glazed ham. You remember the year I waited too long and we couldn't get one? Your dad was so upset. After that, I swore I would order at least forty-five days out."

"He never stays mad at you long," I offered, having heard the same story every year. "What else is going on with you and Dad? Did you try the new restaurant that opened around the block?"

"Yes. It's owned by the nicest same-sex couple. They're active with one of the theater groups in Manhattan. In fact, they've invited us to a special Thanksgiving performance and cocktail reception afterward. An old friend of your father's will be there, so we really couldn't refuse. Then, of course, Friday is shopping. Do you mind if we move the Kentwell Thanksgiving to Saturday?"

Oh, hell. What was this? She's willing to move the date of Thanksgiving? "Um, okay. Were you and dad going to shop here in Manhattan?"

"Yes, and we want you to join us, like always. And, of course, Vincent. We'll arrive Wednesday afternoon, so let's have dinner together. Our treat."

"Okay. I should probably mention that Vincent and I are going out of town tomorrow, but we'll be back Tuesday evening."

"Oh, really? Where are you going?"

"Verona, Italy, and maybe Venice. Vincent owns a rental there."

"How nice. Was this a last minute decision? I know Vincent has the money to do what he wants."

"Yes, it was last minute. Sylvie and Vincent's brother are coming along."

"Like a couple's retreat? That's sweet. So, Sylvie and Vincent's brother are an item?" 

I smiled at my mother's dated lingo. She thought she was still hip. "Yes, they are an item."

"Well, I'm all for romantic getaways to Italy. And darling, if you can't make it here on Saturday, I'll understand. I know this is last minute. We can do a rain check with ham sandwiches."