Chapter 50

Christoph's call came at four-eighteen AM.

"Reese, I need your help."

"Christoph? Where are you?"

"We're on the corner of Second and Battery."

"We? Is Josh with you?"

"No. He stayed to fight. The hive is at war. I'm with Willem. He's been injured. I can't go to my apartment."

Christoph's speech came out between gasps. He sounded exhausted, and I sat up as Vincent turned on the light. We had fallen asleep on Mr. Pearlman's couch, or at least I had.

"The hive is at war and Willem is injured," I said to Vincent as I set my phone on the coffee table and put Christoph on speaker. "What do you need me to do, Christoph? Is Willem hurt bad enough to need a doctor?"

"I wouldn't be calling, otherwise. I've got supplies at my place, but I'm rooming with traitors. It wouldn't be safe for him. Could we meet you at your old apartment? Do you have any iodine, and maybe a sling?"

"But you said you're on Second and Battery. That's nowhere near my apartment."

Silence followed and I looked at Vincent. His dark eyebrows were bunched over his eyes. His contemplative look.

"Does he have money for a cab to NYU at Trinity?" Vincent said.

"Christoph, do you have..."

"Yes, I have enough money for a cab, but Willem doesn't have money or health insurance. Hell, he doesn't have an identity. And what if they want to give him blood?"

"Get Willem admitted to the ER and keep them away from his veins other than a glucose drip," Vincent said as he leaned over the phone. "We'll discuss the details later. Expect us within the hour."

"Um, okay. Thanks." Christoph's sober tone lingered in the quiet after he hung up, and I did my best not to dwell on the worst, like war. They were both alive and that was a lot to be grateful for. Vincent continued to stare at my phone, but I didn't think he was wondering when the screen would dim.

"I'm sorry, Vincent. I know you didn't want to get involved."

"Willem is your grandfather. If he needs medical treatment, he will get it."

"I will pay for his treatment. I'm already knee-deep in debt to your family."

Vincent lifted his head, looking insulted. "You are a member of the domus, Reese. There are no debts among family."

Tell that to my guilty conscience.

~ ~ ~

Behind the hospital curtain, Willem submitted his body for inspection. Four attendants hovered over him, that was eight hands poking and prodding, and he looked like he would rather be anyplace else, maybe even the hive. His wound started at the shoulder and continued across his chest, obviously inflicted by a large blade or talon. Vincent and I joined Christoph where he leaned against the opposite wall, watching the proceedings with a wary, albeit swollen eye. It appeared he needed treatment as well.

"The doctors are deciding whether Willem needs surgery to repair the muscle," Christoph told us. "But it's already starting to repair itself. They've brought in two specialists to document it."

"How did Willem get the wound?" I asked.

Christoph shook his head as his gaze fell to the floor. "I never thought I would see it. A hive queen being overthrown. Most of us knew it was coming, I just thought we would have more time." His voice trailed off and I touched his arm, hoping Vincent would keep it together while I offered my friend comfort.