SIX

"Are you sure you're okay?" Taylor asks for the tenth time within the span of lunch

"Are you sure you're okay?" Taylor asks for the tenth time within the span of lunch. I raise an eyebrow at her as she gives a tight lipped smile. "You're just really quiet today. That's all."

I nod and swallow the mouthful of sushi I was eating. "I'm always quiet. What's the difference?"

"The difference is you're not commenting sarcastically," I furrow my eyebrows and look down at the Californian roll in my hand. "You haven't been pestered by Brian today, have you?"

I shake my head as the bell rings. "Nope. I don't know whether that's a good thing or not. But I'm not going to complain."

"Well Ben fixed your locker so it'll be as if it never happened," She packs up in a hurry, slinging her bag on her shoulder. "I'll see you History?"

Nodding I watch her rush off into the cafeteria with the students dragging themselves back to class. I turn back around and shove the last mouthful while working on the wrapper of my next roll. By the time I've eaten I'll have to go to my session with Mrs Hale which will be excellent - not.

I can almost guarantee she will question me about the fight followed by the locker incident. Although I didn't report it, I think someone else did which is why I'm being temporarily left alone by Brian. Until he finds a way for me and anyone else to keep their mouths shut.

I unwrap the plastic and pick up the small fish filled with soy sauce, using my teeth to twist the cap. "You could ruin your teeth like that."

Looking up I stop for a moment when Rhys dumps his bag on top of the picnic table. I continue to twist two more times before dropping the cap into the plastic container. He sits down and I squirt the sauce on top of my roll before acknowledging him.

"But my teeth are still in tact," I flashed my teeth, momentarily forgetting who is sitting opposite me. "What do you want?"

He raises his eyebrows and nods. "Straight to the point, what if I wanted to talk to you?"

"Shouldn't you be heading to class?" I question, taking a bite and covering my mouth with my hand. "Or hanging out with your friends, something else probably . . ."

"Firstly I have a free period," He grins which makes me furrow my eyebrows. "And my friends have class which leaves me here with you. I figured it would be good to know the girl my brother has this weird fascination over."

I swallow abruptly. "Your brother doesn't have a fascination over me."

"Not in a creepy way. More of a he's asked around about you and he's intrigued," He leans on the table and shrugs. "I have to say, so am I . . . your quite odd considering your past."

"I'm odd?" I question with confusion, he chuckled in amusement. "I don't think I even want to know but you don't have to feel obligated to talk to me. Brian's left me alone-"