NINE

"We need to talk," I stop walking at the sound of my father's voice

"We need to talk," I stop walking at the sound of my father's voice. He sits at the island counter with a frown set into his face. "There's no easy way for me to ask this so I might as well just get it out in the open now. What's going on with you at school?"

I look around when his eyes meet mine. Hesitantly I enter the kitchen and pull up a seat across from him, the tension already weaving its way around my throat. I don't know how to tell him or what he's referring to for that matter.

"What do you mean?"

He extends a letter to me and drops it in front of me. "A letter of concern about your behavior. The fight you intercepted, your locker being vandalized, an outbreak in the counselor's office and a meeting with the principal in the first two weeks of school. Not to mention the two days you've had off already."

I fold the corners of the paper over while I read it. The principal wrote this letter as a warning for my father that I seek help. It's almost unbelievable that this has happened. I'm not as bad as I used to be and nobody realizes that.

The last full blown panic attack I had happened almost seven months ago. Since then I've only been a bit anxious over a few things but I've had control over it. I'm not as unstable as this letter sounds and I can see why he's acting so solemn over it.

He doesn't want to lose me like he did with mom.

"Would you believe me if I said I was fine?" I ask, he inhales and I continue. "The fight was a catalyst for everything that's happened. I got in the way when I shouldn't have and it's caused unwanted drama."

"You're not being bullied are you?" I shake my head although it's technically a lie. "Because if you are I want to know so I can help you deal with it. I know Blair and Taylor are protective of you but I know how you are with that sort of thing. You like being independent."

I give a soft smile as he fiddles with his car keys in his hands. "I don't like dragging the people I care about into my problems but it's been dealt with. The drama I mean, everything should be normal on Monday."

"I hope so," he chuckles and scratches the back of his neck. "I love you. I don't want anything to happen to you so you can't blame me for worrying about what's going on. Are you sure there's nothing that I need to know about?"

I shake my head. "Nope. I'm not dying. I haven't been suspended. I haven't had a panic attack in seven months..."

"Seven months is a long time," he breathes and I nod, liking the smile etching into his lips. "I'm proud of you. I'm glad that you're getting through this."

"So am I," My phone buzzes in my short pockets, pulling it out I swipe reject on Nate's contact. "Are you going to work?"

Dad nods and stands to his feet. "Yeah. An old client of mine got arrested for shoplifting after two previous offences. I should be home by dinner, I'll bring home Chinese."