16| wisdom

Fiddling with the sleeves of my sweatshirt I stand up slightly on my toes in search for Nate

Fiddling with the sleeves of my sweatshirt I stand up slightly on my toes in search for Nate. Considering Rhys wasn't at school today I'm looking for the youngest of the brothers. I know he's here, I saw him walk past my class last period and I'm just hoping I haven't missed him.

Apart from that I sent him a text saying I want to talk to him. I did get a text from Rhys saying they were both okay and that would have been fine if he actually turned up. That's what put the doubt in my mind that things weren't okay.

"Hey! Do you need a ride home?" I ask Nate as he approaches me. Unlike usual there's no noticeable happy expression on his face. "Is everything okay?"

"Everything's fine," I raise an eyebrow at his sharp tone and he exhales, shaking his head. "I'm still a little shaken up from yesterday. That's all. I feel bad because I ruined the date but someone was trying to break inside."

I frown and decide to ignore the part about it being a date. "Did you find out who it was trying to break in?"

"They stopped when Rhys got there," He sucks his lips in, eyes flickering out of nerves. "I'm not supposed to be telling you any of this. I know that I shouldn't but I'm figuring you're someone Rhys will actually listen to."

"He doesn't listen to me."

Nate furrows his eyebrows. "You're oblivious. For some reason you do have sway on what he does and says. I've known my brother for ages and well enough to know that he doesn't apologize, nor would he bother to try."

"What about Lachlan?" I question, fiddling with my car keys. "If you're worried about Rhys why not talk to his best friend? It makes logical sense rather than someone he barely knows."

With that Nate pinches my arm. "Because he cares what you think you idiot," I rub my arm which is now red thanks to him. "I know that Lachlan would support him but if it's something bad that's going on he wouldn't steer him away from it. That's the way their friendship is. They support one another but when it comes to trouble they're magnets."

"So you're telling me your brother is in trouble?" I hesitantly ask. Nate nods and I puff my cheeks out for a second. "As in illegally or as in life threatening?"

Nate gives a one shouldered shrug. "I'm not sure and that's why I'm scared. I don't know whether or not I'll end up being targeted for whatever stupid shit he's involved in."

"I get your concern and in all honesty I can't blame you. I'm feeling worried for Rhys myself after hearing that from you," I fiddle with my ring trying to think of the right wording. "But he won't tell me anything, especially not if it's illegal because of my father. I seriously don't know what you want me to do."

"Could you at least talk to him?" Nate asks hopefully and I shake my head slowly. "Please? Just tell him that you're concerned at least, that way he knows he isn't alone."

I try to find the words to fire back but against my better judgement I nod. For the first time Nate smiles although it isn't out of happiness, more out of relief. But why can't he talk to Rhys himself?