EIGHT

Curling my hands I pull the sleeves of my dark sweatshirt down to cover my knuckles

Curling my hands I pull the sleeves of my dark sweatshirt down to cover my knuckles. The heaters are broken in the GYM and even with the sport going on the doors are open, allowing the wind to blow the coldness and sweat around the building.

Every now and then my eyes flicker to the half of the court where the basketball practice is going down when someone gets a bit too close to the sidelines. Mainly so I don't get hit in the face by a loose ball and deal with that embarrassment. But my eyes seem to focus on the girls that are being yelled at by Blair.

I can feel my annoyance level raising when they fail to grasp onto the simple count moves, knowing that they shouldn't be struggling. This is so simple that anyone - even not trained to be a dancer like half of them are - could pick up after a few goes.

Then there's Blair who continues to scorn the sophomores that fail to complete it in time or correctly. She signed up to be dance captain and she got it, it's her problem now to deal with it. You couldn't captain the team, let alone dance. I can feel my hands twitching and occasionally my feet move to the music.

"What are you doing here?" I look to Nate who shoots me a smile before flopping down on the grandstand beside me. I gesture towards the dancers and he nods slowly before doing the same to the basketball team. "I'm waiting for my boyfriend. We're going on a date once he's finished."

I smile softly. "That's sweet. Do you know where you're going?"

"Well originally we were going to go to Sprinkles but they only sell caffeine filled drinks," I nod slowly and he continues. "But because I can drink any of it. We're going to McDonald's then timezone."

I furrow my eyebrows. "Why can't you drink it? If you don't mind me asking..."

"Oh. I have a heart murmur," he states as if it isn't a big deal. "I just have to be careful with it. Anyway, you and my brother, what's going on with you two?"

I prop my head in my hands, frowning slightly. "What are you talking about?"

"Well I heard that you helped him get away with what he did to Brian," He lowers his voice when someone chases a loose ball near our feet. "That was pretty cool. Besides, you saved him from getting his ass kicked by mom. She wants his senior year to go smoothly without him being suspended or expelled."

I chuckled lightly. "I think that's understandable for any parent. But I wasn't going to rat him out, not after what he did. It was partially for me."

"Partially?" Nate snorts, shaking his head. "He did it all for you to my knowledge, well mostly at least. Part of it was for me but he did it because you've coped unnecessary shit for stepping in front of me. I see it's no longer visible."

He touches my cheek and I lean away from his hand and mumble, "Yeah. Its healed I guess, have you stayed out of trouble?"

"Yes I have," He grins at my question. "But nice change in conversation topic. Back to you and Rhys, is there something going on?"