14| mutual dislike

"Why didn't you tell me you got a promotion?" I break the silence at the dinning room table

The sounds of knives and forks hitting the plate are offensive to the ears and needs to be broken. I look up from the curry with rice to see dad tense up, taking a sip from the coke in his glass. He swallows and I can see the gears ticking over as he thinks of an answer.

"I didn't think it was important," He shrugs, hesitantly looking up. "Why didn't you tell me you had a boyfriend?"

I furrow my eyebrows. "I don't have a boyfriend."

Dad rolls his eyes and shakes his head. "I don't mind if you do. It just would have been nice to know instead of finding out from Kyle that my daughter was getting cozy in a drain with a guy that in his words 'looked intimidating'."

"He's a friend." I exhale and mentally curse Kyle. So much for not telling my dad.

"How come I've never met or heard of him then?" Dad presses on the issue further and I try not to roll my eyes at him. "I just want to know whether I need to be concerned if he's influencing your behavior-"

"You know how I said Brian and I were still friends?" He nods and I shake my head. "We aren't. Some things happened, he was the one who punched me in the face accidentally. Because he got suspended he retaliated against me for that reason and it was Rhys who stopped him from going any further than vandalizing my locker."

Dad's jaw clenches. "Brian was the one who hit you?"

Oh shit.

"It was an-"

"I don't care if it was an accident. That boy should be ashamed of himself for even thinking it was your fault," He clanks his cutlery to the plate. "As for this Rhys boy I want to thank him myself for what he's done. "

I blink a few times. "Wait, what?"

"Invite him over tomorrow after school," He explains, standing up and collecting his plate. "He can stay for dinner if he wants or you two can just hang out. I've got a call to make to inform the Farnell's we won't be attending their gala because of their son's irrational behavior."

"Dad it's not worth-"

"End of discussion Kira," He asserts, stopping my protest. "I won't take lightly to anyone that hurts you. You're my daughter and his father should be thankful I don't tell him to go shove his job up his ass. . ."

Dad walks out and I gape, trying to find the words to speak. What the hell just happened. How did that happen so quickly?  I pick at the remaining curry and rice until I can't stomach to eat anymore.

It's not that his cooking is horrible, it's more that I feel sickly from what I've just done. Dad could potentially lose his job over this and it's my fault. I should have just kept my mouth shut and there would be no problem.