24| baiting the anger

"Are you scared that you're going to hurt the bag?"

For the past forty minutes I've been hitting the leather bag pressed into the corner of the room. I can feel my arms burning as patience from Rhys' taunts wears thinner as they progressively become meaner. I'm waiting for the grandma comments next.

I wasn't expecting to be standing here hitting it repeatedly while he watches, occasionally using the chin up bar. Overall this has seemed utterly pointless and just worn me out.

"You're weak,"

I stop, leaning back on the bag to face him. He's sitting on the seat of some machine with his hands buried in the pockets of his hoodie. I blink a few times as the words feel like a blade slicing through my skin.

"I didn't tell you to stop."

Sinking my teeth into my bottom lip I spin back around while curling my fists harder. I hit the bag out of annoyance hearing a scoff come from behind me. My head drops and I spin around while throwing my arms up.

"What is your problem?" I snap watching as he walks closer with a shrug.

"If you think that you're going to do any damage with how your punching don't get your hopes up," He leans on the wall beside the punching bag, head flicking to it. "Hit it again as if you were fighting off an attacker."

I stare at him for a few seconds before inhaling slowly. Raising my left fist I punch the bag watching it sway slightly from the impact. Once again I hear a scoff and when I look to Rhys he's shaking his head.

"What's the point of this?" I question, this time kicking the bag as I have a mini tantrum. "All you're doing is standing there criticizing me rather than helping me."

He raises an eyebrow and pushes off the wall. "Or you're just too stupid to realize what I'm actually doing."

"Excuse me?" I screech not caring that my voice just raised several octaves. "You're being an asshole right now and I'm quickly loosing my patience with you."

"Enough to hit me?" He taunts and I feel my fists curl over. "You don't have the guts to do it. You're too weak and fragile to hit me, even if you wanted to you wouldn't because you can't hurt another person. Can you?"

My jaw clenches and before I can process it I've thrown a punch, although it's not at Rhys. The pent up anger and frustration from the hit makes the bag swing back, hitting the corner of the wall which makes my eyes widen in shock.

The bag swings back but Rhys' hand stops its momentum from hitting me. I feel a throb in my hand and straighten it out with a frown. He stands in front of me but I refuse to look up at him. My hearts pounding and his words are starting to engrave their way into my brain.

"Do you really think I'm stupid?" I whisper which contrasts to the tension in the room.

"I was baiting you," Rhys states and I furrow my eyebrows. "I wanted to push you to the absolute boiling point to see whether you would break or fire up."