16 - worry

When he pulls away, I open my eyes, looking straight into his. His eyes are full of life. Never have I seen them so full of life before. Draco is absolutely, undoubtably handsome but his eyes usually held this beetle-brow look that made him look unapproachable. Not now though, not this time.

He looks back at me, not breaking the connection that just evolved.
"Not to be corny, but you do look beautiful Lovegood", he says and then looks away.

"I assume you are not used to giving out compliments, are you?" I attempt to tease him.
Before he responds to me, he looks back with a serious expression and knotted eyebrows.

"I didn't ever have anyone to give compliments to."

Just as the words leave his lips, my stomach flutters and I can feel myself blush. Before I can reply to what he just said, he takes a deep breath. "Lovegood, I want you to know that what these idiotic girls said to you is not true, whatever it was. I didn't give a shit about people, girls in particular, at all. Until this, until you."
He holds a worried expression on his face, until I start to smile.

"Well I was insecure at first, but that was because what they said made sense. I didn't expect you to fancy someone like me. So what they were saying didn't sound too far from the truth. But I believe you, now I do, and I don't doubt you." I smile at him, a genuinely honest smile.

He nods at my words and takes my hand in his. "I don't think I deserve that, Lovegood. Not after everything that I've done. I don't know how you see past all of this"

"Just like you see past all my flaws and the oddness", I shyly respond.