Just the Two of Us

Peter Quill's POV

Peter Quill sat down on his bed, reading his mother's letter. They just came back from a crazy adventure. One of his cassette tapes were destroyed, and he resented his father for it. He managed to replace it with something more modern, though. Peter didn't want to be stuck in the past.

"Uh, Peter? What happened...?"

Gamora was there, sitting beside him. Peter's heart skipped beats. They recently defeated his father a mere few hours ago, and Yondu Udonta died, so the grief was unbearable.

"Nothing. Just a little reminiscing. My parents are gone, can't you believe it? All Ego wanted to do was to create versions of himself. He had concern, yeah, but purpose in life was more important to him than loved ones. It's totally sick," said Peter indignantly.

Gamora laughed. "Did you know that we're even now?"

"What are you talking--"

"Peter, my parents are dead now too. Thanos turns out to be even more evil than I expected, obtaining the Infinity Stones to take over the whole universe. That's his 'purpose' and he never cared for me and Nebula. Get it?"

Gamora's adoptive father, Thanos--after all, he he merely hired Ronan the Accuser for the Orb that contained an Infinity Stone. He could remember now. Peter shook his head, laughing.

"Yeah...I guess you're right."

Peter and Gamora chatted for a long time. Rocket passed by once, laughing at them both. Groot said hello his customary way, and passed a flower to Peter discreetly. Drax and Mantis were talking as usual--booming laughter once in a while--and Yondu's arrow whizzed by, its fast red streak fading by degrees.

Suddenly, Peter said, "Come with me, Gamora. Let's talk somewhere else." In the distance there was a chant from Rocket: "Star-Lord and Gamora sittin' in a tree, ship in s-p-a-c-e!" Groot even made a heart sign with his branches.

Gamora rolled her eyes as she raced with Peter to a far side of the ship. This is more like it, talking with her without any dumb trees making heart signs and raccoon-things making plain stupid chants, that's for sure, Peter thought to himself. They were now outside on a far part of the ship. Peter cleared his throat.

"So...I wanted to talk about...that time when we were in Knowhere and in Ego's planet. Sorry if I offended you or anything, but...you're different than the other girls I met. Strong, independent, fierce, funny, and very satisfactory dancing skills."

Gamora frowned but it turned into a warm smile. "Thank you. No one knows about our dance together, right?" She frowned again.

"Don't worry 'bout it."

"I trust you. If you ever break my trust you'll end up having a bloody throat."

"Calm down, green girl, I told you not to worry." Peter made a face at the stars, and had a desire to go to Earth somehow. This gave him an idea.

"Gamora, I'm making plans to go to Earth and visit my mother for a while. Tell the other Guardians that I visited Xandar, okay? If they ever ask, you know. I also want to visit my remaining relatives. They gave up finding me, I bet."

"I thought your mother was dead."

"Jeez, Gamora. On Earth we visit deceased people's graves all the time when we want to. Not for anyone to decide which customs are strange and are not."

"I don't really care about that just now. Listen to me. Quill, I can't do this. Remember how Mantis can feel our emotions? I'm feeling pressured, and if she accidentally touches me, I'm dead. Drax and Rocket have a way of noticing things, and Groot sometimes noses around. But...I'm sure Kraglin will buy it. Yet I can't do it. You so obviously trust me, but I don't know if I can't do it, Quill."

Peter groaned. Gamora often called him Quill when she was nervous, angry, or simply having a contrary mood. He was now fiddling with his belt.

"You can persuade good enough. Anyone can buy the story. As for Mantis, you already avoided her touch, didn't you? You could evade it yet again. You're the only one crazy enough to hurt people's feelings. They'll think I'm with a person with a great deal at something. And don't make them leave the ship at all costs."

"Fine. I'll help in this crazy plan of yours."

"Thank you, Gamora."

Peter had to fight a sudden urge to kiss her on the spot. He had always thought that Gamora was unusually attractive (despite her green skin color, which no one had naturally on Earth) and her complex personality was weird for a high-end, trained assassin.

It probably what made her so...irresistible.

👍👍👍👍👍👍

A/N: You made it!
Thank you for reading! It probably is short, and trust me, so will the next chapter. My first book and fanfic! Yay...

Thank you again! If you like it, then you know what to do! Have a trophy for your willingness for my [cruddy] writing! I'm a newcomer, anyway.

Have a free meal! 🍜🍲🍛🍝🍚🍱🍣🍞🍤🍔🍟

Here's your well-deserved trophy! 🏆

Good day to you!