An Emotional Talk

Peter Quill's POV

Peter was still standing on the kitchen floor, as if roots had grown under his feet. Gamora had walked out, and there were a million thoughts racing around his head.

He bolted to the door and opened it, not even noticing a few unwelcome intruders just beside it. He went the other way, running as if for his life. He didn't know why he was running. But Peter was looking in every--and any--direction for a certain face. No sign anywhere.

Peter went to every room, looking for Gamora, even when he was damn sure she didn't want to see him. He wasn't exhausted, instead motivated by adrenaline and a genuine desire to see the girl he loved once again.

After a while, Peter began to lag and an unpleasant thought stuck around in his mind. Why can't I see her? Has she been hiding?

Then it hit him. Of course! The spot where they met after their second major galaxy-saving adventure. He hadn't looked there yet.

Peter began to move in a much slower pace. He was now sure of himself. As he climbed the stairs quietly, he began to think about the faraway look in Gamora's eyes. It showed a newer, more sentimental side of herself. And to think that she would ever love a person like Peter Quill, she seemed just too doubtful of her feelings.

He was now at his destination. True enough, Gamora was there, munching galactic grape biscuits. Then Peter was surprised. Her eyes were red and puffy, and if he didn't know any better, it seemed she was also sniffling audibly.
"Go away right now, or...or..."

"Or what?" Peter said, sitting beside Gamora. He put an arm around her shoulder, after several misgivings.

"I'll shove this biscuit down your throat," she countered weakly, waving the said treat around. Peter laughed outright and screwed up his face in mock disgust. "Yeah, right, you already took a bite of that."

"What do you want?"

"A smile from you."

"No."

"What did I do to make you like this?"

"Are all the things that you said...true?"

"'Fraid so." But Peter's face turned serious. "I need to know about what you feel about me first."

Gamora rolled her eyes and sighed. "Why are you here? I need my privacy." She glared at Peter. He shook his head sadly.

"I am so freaking confused by you. You're almost driving me crazy. And I thought you'd drink the milk with the galactic grape biscuits, because I bought that for you." His mind was racing again.

The warrior sat there quietly, refusing to look Peter in the eyes. He patiently waited for her to speak. But Gamora uttered not a word.

"Please answer me. I--I need to know how you feel because...I feel like I've been cheated somehow. I'm your friend, right? We could stay like that if you want to. But I care about you more than a friend does." Peter's voice was shaky and cracked. "It's 'cause I'll never know if you love me if I don't know soon. Do you even know the feeling of caring for someone that is completely oblivious of what the other person is going through?" His eyes welled up, tears threatening to fall. He sighed. "Gamora, make up your mind. Stop holding it back. If I'm not the right person to be in a serious relationship with you..."

Gamora began to sniffle again. Peter bit his lip.
"I'm sorry, Peter. I am the biggest jerk in the galaxy all right," she said, chuckling a little even if there seemed to be a lump in her throat.

Peter put his arm around her and patted her shoulder. "Please. Don't apologize. I'm the one at fault anyway...stupid lovesick heart."

Gamora laughed as Peter slapped his chest in mock regret. She licked the crumbs off her lips and smiled. Then she turned serious.