A Confrontation

Gamora's POV

A week passed by. The Guardians had been going on smaller adventures, and they were now more inseperable. Gamora and Peter were on good terms, for they couldn't ignore each other for long, could they?

One lazy day, Gamora munched on her galactic grape biscuits as she read what seemed like a holographic newspaper. They were now on a planet--Gamora forgot its name--because the team had picked up some food and other things. She, Groot, and Mantis were left on the ship.

Gamora set down her biscuits and went out of her room, strolling around. This ship was bigger than the Milano (already irreversibly broken and abandoned on a deserted planet) and hadn't explored a lot for there wasn't time.

As she walked some more, she was surprised to see Peter stumbling to the kitchen, holding a couple of bags. Gamora rushed to his aid.

"Let me help you."

"Gamora, I'm good."

"No, you're not."

"I guess it is heavy, but really, I can do this."

Gamora rolled her eyes and snatched a bag, setting it on the counter. Peter was stubborn at times, but she was used to it.

"Did you...?"

"Yeah, Gamora, I have a lot of those damned galactic grapes."

"Don't say that. I like them."

"When are you going to stop, then?"

"Never."

Peter laughed. "I'm not making any today, how's that?"

"Terrible."

Gamora began looking intently at the contents of the bags, hoping to see something she liked. She didn't notice that Peter was staring at her with a fascinated expression. But when she did, he looked away.

"I'll be in my room, then," said Gamora, holding a carton of dairy. Peter grabbed her arm. She tried to yank it off his grip.

"Let go, idiot."

"Make me."

"Oh, I will," Gamora said. She hit Peter's wrist with the carton and took some hasty steps back. She smirked in satisfaction.

"You make everything a weapon, Gamora! You could even kill someone with your freaking bare hands!" Peter whined.

"That's what I was trained for."

"Listen, just this once."

Moments of silence. Peter said not a word, only staring at Gamora with a strange expression. Gamora clutched the dairy carton, growing more perplexed at his gaze.

Peter cleared his throat and began. "I know I'm a jerk, and I always thought that I'd remain that way, even after we went on several...trips. I've also decided that you won't like--us--in a serious relationship. But I've been trying to improve myself for everyone's sake." He said this very earnestly.

Gamora's heart softened. She bit her lip. The only thought that remained persistent on her mind refused to waver.

Just say it. Go on, tell him how you feel.

"Peter--"

"What?"

"It wouldn't work, I swear. Us? Together?"

Gamora looked at Peter sternly. Then she let out a sigh. A moment of quietness. In her mind, the two of them were incompatible. It was hopeless anyway. They were already the best of friends, so why exactly did Peter have feelings for Gamora?

"I'm not forcing 'us' to happen," insisted Peter stubbornly, breaking the silence. "I am only saying how I feel. It's been a long time since I was actually honest about something."

"You're stupid," Gamora spat. "I'm not the right person for you. We're too different. I think our friendship is enough for anything."

"Look," said Peter. He put his hands on Gamora's shoulders. She reluctantly complied without a struggle. Her stomach was churning.

"I get these nightmares about you being tortured by Thanos, and I was there, doing nothing but to stare at that sight. I get these weird hunches that someday, we're going to do something we'd eventually regret. Gamora, I care about you."

Gamora shook her head. She could've sworn she heard a small giggle somewhere. Shaking it off and exhaling sharply, she said, "Well, you have to let your feelings go."

Peter folded his arms. "I know you like me."

"How?!"

"It's so obvious. I heard you telling Mantis that 'something feels odd' with you, and you wanted her to know what's going on. What she said was that you've been like-liking me for a long time, and you simply felt pressured. Which explains the 'odd' feeling."

"No, I'm not like that!"

"Can you stop denying?"

Gamora flinched at Peter's triumphant expression. She so wanted to punch his stupid face. But then she took a step backward.

"You're a jerk."

"Damn right, Gamora."

Peter bit his lip. He let out a sigh. Gamora sensed that he was up to something. He might have been planning to try and make her confess everything that she felt about him. So she slunk away from him, putting down the milk carton.

"I don't like you more than a friend."

"Oh, yeah? Justify your statement, please."

Gamora rolled her eyes at Peter, but in her mind, she knew she was cornered. She had to think of something that would still hide her uncertain feelings for him.

A/N: Finally came up with this chapter. Yay!
I hope you won't be disappointed by this, because this random...something leaked out of my busy brain, and I turned it into another part of the story.

I've been busy with stuff about school, so the posting of chapters will be less frequent. Still, though. Don't hate me, please.

Thank you and God bless!