28 Drunken Mistakes

I hold up the rum, and then the Tequila and salt in the other hand. "If I'm going to play therapist, we're doing it my way." I sit in front of the fire, grabbing two glasses. Klaus turns his head to face me, rolling his sky blue eyes that reflected the glow of the fire. "I wonder if there's board games."

"I'm not playing chess." He says immediately. I laugh, pouring the amount of a Tequila shot into a glass. The Hybrid reaches for it and I slap his hand away.

"Answer a question, and you get a shot." I down it with a quick flick of my wrist. Then shake a small bit of salt onto my tongue.

"This is going to end badly." Klaus mutters. Though he said so, he didn't refuse the game so, it began.

"Let's start off easy." I pause, pulling off my sweater because the near proximity of the fire was making my skin feverish. "What's your name?" I ask, giggling and pouring myself some Rum. He sends me a look. "You won't answer the in depth questions without warming up." I rip the liquid from my glass, licking my lips and waiting expectantly.

"Niklaus Mikaelson." He answers, and pours himself a large shot. I roll my eyes but say nothing as he downs it, not bothering going to the salt so I hold it up. He didn't grab it.

"Come on. Your soggy mood is bringing down the atmosphere." I throw the salt shaker at him and it hits his chest and then falls, salt spilling out onto the rug.

"Lucky for us, we're not superstitious." Niklaus picks it up. I nod in agreement.

"Fine. No salt chaser then." I finish the rum in my glass, and think. "Hayley said you got into an argument." I recall, pouring us both tequila. "What was it about?"

"Feelings." He replies. I look up at him, throwing my hands up.

"Puppies give you feelings, Klaus. Dig deeper." I demand.

"I hardly remember." He sneers, and I could see that werewolf rage bubbling. "But I upset her."

"Because you say harsh things where it hurts when you're hurt." I say, and Klaus seemed about ready to stand up and leave. "You lash out, thinking you deserve to be alone but that's your worst fear." I continue and he growls, his eyes glowing.

"Enough!" He roars, shaking the cabin with his voice, and I shrink back, getting to my feet. "Wait." Niklaus says surprisingly calm after his outburst, and I look back at him, my damp curls was soaking through my shirt. "Yes. That's exactly right."

"I know." I sit back down, not bothering with the glasses and just taking a swallow straight out of the Tequila bottle. His features were unreadable when I dared to look upwards. It's especially difficult to reach out to someone like him. "Because that's how a lot of people... how..." I wince. "Monsters... feel." My head was still light and I passed the bottle to the Hybrid who takes it, pouring it in glasses.

"You're not a monster, Merida." He scoffs, like the thought baffled him. I shake my head, but take my glass when it's passed to me. Silence stretches on between us, and there's only the sound of our hearts beating. The crackling of the fire. The pouring of liquor. "I'm not good enough for Cami." He breaks the silence after several quiet drinks. His face was hard as ice, even when he says it. "People who get attached to us, one way or another, die. I'm protecting her."

"No." I finish another drink. "You're protecting yourself." I meet his eyes, which seemed dark in the dark room with nothing but the fire to light it up. "I'm getting tired of the floor." I grab the bottles and stand up. Then come crashing back down and burst into a fit of giggles. I was more drunk than I thought.

"You're going to rip your stitches again." He scolds, but was smirking. Come to think of it, I couldn't feel the pain in my shoulder anymore.

"Poppy cock." I stand up again, and this time make it to the couch. Where he joins me a moment later.