29 Blackmail

Beck-- Devil's Haircut

I thank the bartender, tapping my fingers on the bar when finally Arthur sits beside me. I turn to him, anger written on my features. "Why didn't you tell me about London?" I demand. "Cecilia would've told me the minute it happened, if not before." My voice was firm, and the power from it radiated towards him. Arthur shrinks back at my tone.

"The League's been questioning your rule." He responds quietly. I smile sarcastically, tilting my head as though he was flirting.

"And you?" I ask, my voice so soft and smooth. "Am I going to have to make an example of you?" I lean forward, my breath was minty from fresh toothpaste, and I could see Arthur shiver in terror. Good. Maybe I can show him the error of his ways. I grab my phone off the counter, looking at him and waiting for a response.

"I would've told you, I-" I slam my fist on the bar, abruptly cutting off his words. "Merida, please. I-"

"I think you shouldn't see Josh." My small smile was dark and sadistic. "You've grown soft, and I don't like soft leaders." I push the call button on my phone, as the number was already dialed in, and put it on speaker.

"Are you going to kill me?" Arthur asks, worried but also angry. I shake my head.

"I'm suspending you, permanently." I then lean over the phone. "Francis? Are you there?" I ask.

"Yeah." I hear his Scottish accent come across the speaker.

"Great. Stay on the line." I request and then meet Arthur's confused gaze. "I know all about your relationship with Marcel's daylighter." I turn to him. "You withheld the information on London from me. I want to know why."

"I told you. The League doesn't want you as their leader." Arthur hisses, and my face falls, my jaw clenching. "If you kill me, or send me away, they will revolt." He threatens me. This makes me crack a smile and then laugh lightly.

"I wouldn't have to suspend you if you did your job right." I answer, mock humor still glistening on my face. My eyes pierced into him. "Arthur. You've been by my side for a long time. I don't want to ruin that." I raise an eyebrow at him, but he shakes his head. "Francis, we need an incentive." I tell the phone. Arthur frowns. Until there's a loud, angry shout of pain that crosses the speaker.

The Prince of Camelot stands up, fury written on his face and in one child motion he's grabbed me by the throat. "Let him go, you bastard." I couldn't help but smile.

"Bastard. Finally, someone gets it right." I muse. "Tear my head off. Rip my heart out. Right here, in the middle of the Bar." I lean forward, and his hand chokes my throat. "I won't die, but your boyfriend will."

"What do you want?" Arthur drops me, and I brush off my clothes, like he got dirt on them. Like his very words coated me with mud.

"What I want, is for you to step down for awhile." I hold out my hand. "I want your phone. I'm taking the position from you and making you a scout." Arthur was about to say something but he passes his phone over and I look at my phone. "I'm assigning you to the problem in London. Get the Armory there. I want to replace the Coven Elder there with my own. So grab a witch of your choosing."

"You want me on the ground?" He asks in dismay. I grit my teeth together.

"Francis-"

"No okay. Okay I'll go to London, please just let Josh go." Arthur begs. I nod, and read his features. He really did have a soft spot for that boy. I didn't want to break his loyalty to me, but I know I had already put a kink in the chain now. "What about Vlad?"

"I'll make a call to him. He'll step aside and let you do your job. However, use him as a resource. He grew up in England." I explain. "Francis you can let Josh go." As I tell him the line hangs up, and I cross my arms, looking evenly at Arthur. "Take care of the witches accordingly. Set boundaries or rules, whatever you have to do."