The Cops

I didn't bother to check on him or what he is doing down there. I was at my desk looking at some paper for work. I heard some commotion outside and decided to take a look. Next door were the cops parked. 'Probably searching for him?'  I wonder what I would do if they come over to my door wondering if I seen who they are searching for. If I would tell them that he is hiding in my house. Or if I would keep him hidden. This is hard to decide what to do. The cops were going in to the next door's house. The thing is I don't know him but apparently my mom did. Wonder what she would of done? If she would let him hide in her house even when she knew cops were after him. Well I know she wouldn't approve someone breaking the law. Then again I don't know what law he broke? Was it robbing? He also seems guilty on doing something though. I mean his face showed concern and it might have been guilt on his face but I couldn't tell since I was busy trying to get him out of my house. If he wasn't guilty he probably would be more calm about it. I walk out of my house as I saw the cops going out the next door's house. I decided to not tell them and pretend that I didn't know anything. I walk next door and walk over to a cop, "What is going on over here?" I asked.

"We are looking for someone who broke out of jail tonight."

I gasp, "I hope he gets caught we don't want someone like that in the neighborhood."

"Exactly why we are looking for him he is a dangerous man."

I froze.

"If you see someone suspicious over here or better yet," he hands me a filer, "if you see that same man from this picture give us a call right away."

I nodded, "Will do officer," I smiled with a fake smile.

The other cop waves at me and gets in the car next to the officer and they were off down the street. I look down at the filer. 

Len Rickson A Wanted Man

Escaped Prison tonight

call the police station 

if you have any clue 

or sign on where he is

hiding let me officer 

Greyson know right away

I got back inside my house. I shut the door behind me and breathed heavily I am holding a escaped prisoner in my house and what appears to be someone dangerous! He did say he wouldn't hurt me since my mom who he seems to care for from what I can guess. I look back at the flier thinking on what to do. I am hiding a prisoner! This is not my night. How long is he going to stay down in the basement anyway? The cops are gone. I walk over to the basement door and peer inside the dark cold place, "Hey letting you know the cops are gone."

I hear footsteps coming up the stairs and I back away and over to the kitchen and put the flier down on the counter. I heard footsteps coming towards the kitchen. I look over at the knife rack and just in case grabbed a knife and held it behind my back. I saw him walking over to a kitchen chair and took a long breath sitting down. I just stared at him wondering what to say and do to him, "The cop gave me this flier," I handed it to him, "you are a wanted man."

"I know I am," he hissed softly.

"And they said you escaped from prison?" I decided to leave that he is dangerous part out.

"Yes I did escape from that horror place they call jail."

"And you decide to hide in my house because?"

"Your mother."

"Who is dead."

"Yes and I am sorry for your loss. It tore me apart when I heard that she had cancer."

"She didn't die from cancer," I decided to explain. I sighed. Her passing was still fresh in my mind, "she died after having a seizure in her car."

He had a shocked look on his face and looked at the table, "What a terrible way to die."

"Well you must be thirsty from probably all that running so would you like something to drink?" I decided to offer him. 

"Yes water please," he groans from having his mouth dry. I nodded and took a glass out from the cupboard. Filling it up with water and then handed it to him, "thank you," he jugs the water down and sets it on the table. He noticed the newspaper I had on the table and looks at it. "This paper is from 2008?"

"Yes I can read that."

"So why-"

"First of why were you in jail? Robbed a bank?"

He shook his head, "I don't want to explain about that tonight. Too tired to explain."

I sigh. 'Do I really want a criminal sleeping in my house?' "You can sleep in the basement it has a bed and a sofa. Also a tv but the cable is unplugged." 

He nodded, "Well then I am going down there and sleep," he yawns and stretches as he got up, "oh and you can put that knife away behind your back I already told you I am not going to hurt you since your Ms. Lori's son." 

I gasp 'How did he know I had a knife behind my back?'