Chapter 5

I parked my car in the garage and went inside, putting the bags on the counter. Len was sitting on my red sofa reading. And it wasn't a book he was reading it was my writing. I told him not to touch my desk and what does he do! "Hey Ms. Lori's son. How was work?"

"Interesting. What are you doing?"

He raised an  eyebrow, "I am reading your work as you can tell."

"Yes and I told you not too," I grab the pages out of his hands, "I told you not to touch anything on my desk," I snap.

"Yes and I have an excuse for that. I spilled some sort of drink and I was removing your papers away from the spill. You should be happy that I saved them for you."

I gasp, "You spilled something on my desk!" I went over to my desk and saw a spot of stained coffee in the center. Luckily I had my laptop on the coffee table.

"Yes coffee spilled on it and I tried to clean it up. But I am not good with cleaning things."

I look over at him.

"But you should thank me I saved your writing."

I nodded and went over to the sofa, putting my writing on the coffee table. I rub my temple. 'I suppose I should thank him.' he saved my writing but then again why do I even bother writing anymore. I felt the sofa getting heavy. I look up, "Thanks for saving my work."

He nodded, "Was the right thing to do."

"You didn't have to read my writing though. It was not suppose to be seen by anybody," I got up and got my laptop, "I need to work on something for tomorrow. I bought some groceries if you get hungry and such," I went over to my bedroom and shut the door. 'How dare he read my writing!' I am annoyed with his presence at the moment. I forgot to ask him on why he was in jail but right now I just want to finish my work project and get to sleep after. 

My mom is standing in the kitchen telling me how I will never make it as a play writer. I was 16 then. My life is always involved in writing something. Drafts upon drafts were made on plays. 

Three Years Ago

A news reporter was on tv, "Shane Anthony as a well known play writer in the little town Aspen Park Colorado stopped writing plays for some reason. We are all wondering what happened to Shane Anthony?"

My mom who ones was proud of me for writing my first play back then became disappointed with me when I stopped writing plays. 

Three years ago

My wife she was such a beautiful creature we had a child. I was happy and a well known play writer in Aspen Park. But everything fell apart with just one talk from the cops. 

I sat up with sweat running down my face. I looked down at my finger where I was still wearing my wedding ring. I never took it off. I fell onto the mattress breathing heavily. Been awhile since I had that dream. I look over at the alarm clock it was 3:00 am. I worked on my project till 1:00 am. I finished it. I didn't feel like going back to sleep so I got up and over to my closet and got my robe out. Draped it over my body with just underwear and a white shirt on and went downstairs. I turned on the light in the living room and found two pair of eyes looking at me. Len was sitting on the sofa reading the 2008 newspaper. "Can't sleep either huh?" he wondered.

I shook my head, "I did sleep for two hours though." I sat on the sofa next to him, "Found the reason I am keeping this newspaper yet?"

"Yes I did. One of your written plays are in here."

I sigh thinking back on the dream. I nod, "So why can't you not sleep?"

Len looks away. Eyes on the floor, "No reason really. I am fine."

"You don't look like your fine," I get up, "but if you don't want to talk about it then you don't have too. Making coffee since I am not going back to bed," going to the kitchen I turned on the coffee machine and got out half and half and one sugar packet. 

"Why did you quit writing plays?" he wondered softly thinking I didn't hear him. He didn't want me to hear him but I did.

I sigh.

He walks over to me, "When I worked with your mother she told me her son was a play writer and how proud she was of you."

I look over at him, "I am not discussing that part of my life with you."

"Why? Are you ashamed of telling me? Did something happen?"

I poured myself a cup of coffee, pouring the half and half and sugar packet next, sitting down at the kitchen table. I look down at the table.

Len gasps, "Seems like something did happen? Was it because of your mother's cancer or-"

I slam my hand on the table and look at him, "What makes you think that! You think something happened that I stopped writing plays!" I stood up and grabbed my coffee. I stopped at the third step and looked at him, "my mom was not the reason I quit writing plays ok," I snapped. I hurried upstairs and slammed my bedroom door. I put my cup of coffee down on my nightstand. Sitting on the bed I turned on the news on my little flat screen. A women reporter was talking about someone that I hate. 'Kellen Michaels.' I used to be a well known writer in Aspen Park. After I stopped writing plays well I do still write them but they are not good enough to sell. My heart hasn't been in it for three years now. Kellen Michaels is now the well known play writer. The women reporter is talking about one of his written plays which is going to open up next week. I turned off the tv and threw the remote away from me. I turned on my laptop. I need to escape from this town. I need a new start a place that doesn't know me. I did say I will not quit the newspaper company but now looking at a new town to live I am thinking about changing my mind. I look over at my notebook where I started writing my first play after not writing one for a year now. Anger and jealously about Kellen and thinking that my live as a play writer is over for me I decided to tear the pages out. Crumbled my written play. I took a lighter out from my nightstand drawer. Going over to the bathroom I light the papers and put them in the sink to burn till they were all gone. What is left of them now is ashes. I smile as I wash the ashes away and down the drain. 

At breakfast me and Len didn't say much to each other from the night before. Although he still needs to tell me why he is here but it has to wait. Right now I need to drive over to work. Give my boss the project I did lastnight. I decided I am not going to quit till next month. I mean moving is a big deal. It is more a big deal if you are moving to another town. I am not sure if I want to stay in Colorado or if I want to move to another state. I told Len that Lexi was coming over for dinner and to pretend that he is my annoying cousin. I don't know why I want to lie to Lexi for his sake though. He is still a guy who escaped from jail. I am still wondering why I am letting him hide in my house. I could of just turned him in and move on with my life without him. But he still needs to tell me why he is here. I am waiting for his answer and till then I am keeping him hidden from the cops and pretend that he is a cousin of mine if anyone asks. I may change my mind after the answer though. Just maybe.