Chapter 9

There was a heavy knock at my door on a Saturday afternoon. Was my day off. Weekends are always my day off. I was sitting at my desk working on well work that needs to be finished by Monday and Len watching the tv watching a show called 'Breaking Bad' when we heard the loud knock. I open my curtain and peak out on who the person was that was knocking so fiercely? It was one of my neighbors. I told Len to hide in the basement before I opened the door to see what my next door neighbor wanted. "Hey Mr. Jameston what brings you over at a Saturday afternoon ?"

"Are you hiding someone in your house someone that the police are looking for? Say Len Rickson?"

I shot him a shocked look, 'Why does he ask me that? Did he find out somehow?' I stayed calm, "Why would you ask me that Mr, Jameston? Really what crossed your mind in asking me that?"

"Listen I know Len Rickson from a friend of mine who used to work with him. I know that he is a murder and I know he killed his stepfather."

"Why are telling me this?" 'I already know all that.,' I wanted to say, 'but it was his evil stepfather.'

"Because. I know Shane. I know he is in your house."

I started shaking a bit with shock and nervousness, 'How did he know?' "I don't know what your talking about?"

Just then a few people were walking up behind him.

"Don't lie to us," Mr. Jameston snaps, "we all know."

"How he has been hiding in my house this whole time?" I covered my mouth realizing what I just said, "I mean-"

"And there you go you just admitted he is hiding in your house," Jameston says. He was sort of the leader in the neighborhood, "and now that we know the truth. We are going to call police," Jameston turns away I gasp, 'We have to get out of here now!' the other people were giving looks like they were disgusted that I am holding a escape criminal in my house.

I shut my door and went over to the basement, "Len!" I shout.

Len runs up the stairs, "Who was that?"

"Nevermind that I will tell you on the road we have to get out of here right now!" I felt panic hitting me,  I was trying to catch my breath.

Len grabs my shoulder, "Shane calm down. We will get through this. I am assuming something bad happened?"

I nodded trying to calm down, "The cops are after you...and they.... know where you...are hiding!"

Len gasps, "How did they know I was here?"

I walk up the stairs as quickly as possible and I tripped a few times which made my foot ache. Going to my bedroom I got my car keys, wallet and cellphone. A pair of sunglasses and clothes in a bag. I ran downstairs. Len was waiting for me in the living room. He had his wallet and cellphone in his hands. He seemed out of breath guessing he went down in the basement and got his stuff as quickly as possible, "There is no time to explain," I grasped out from running downstairs, "The cops are after you we need to get out of here now!" I shouted as I ran to kitchen and opened the door that led to the garage. Then I realized something. My laptop! I forgot it in the living room I threw the keys to Len and my clothes bag, "Start the car and put this in the back seat. I will be right there," Len looks at the keys and nodded walking in the garage. I ran to the living room . I gasp as I hear sirens in the distance. I grab my laptop and charger and ran too the kitchen. I hear the car running in the garage. I pressed the button that opened the garage door. I tripped on a bucket as I ran to the car. I groaned in pain as I open the car door to the driver's seat, putting my laptop under my clothes bag so that sun don't shine on it.

"Are you ok?"

I shot him a look.

"You tripped you ok?"

I nodded, "I am fine," I put my car into drive mode and drove quickly out of the garage. Luckily my garage is behind my building so hearing the cops coming up the street in front of my house it gives me time to drive out of my garage and out of the drive way. I stopped at a stop sign. I catch my breath a bit and rub the sweat of nervousness of my face. I look over to Len, "We did it," I breathed.

Len smiled at me, patting my shoulder, "If you need me to drive anytime let me know."

I nodded. I checked if it is ok to cross and we were on our way down the street and on to the main street. We were safe now. The cops will not find us now. We are getting close to the highway, "Lets stop by the gas station first," I parked in a shell gas station, "need a restroom break cause I do?"

He shook his head, "I can't be seen by anybody here. I am pretty sure my wanted poster are everywhere by now in this town?" 

I nodded and stuck the gas hoes in my car tank, "I will be back in a minute," I walk over to the small market and over to the restroom to throw up and calm my heart down. It feels like it is beating really fast while escaping that house. I was also a bit sad to leave the house. It held alot of precious memories. Ones it is safe to return I will be back to get the rest of my stuff. For now it is going on the highway and leave the town I was born in. Leave my job that I will never return too. Leave Lexi behind. Then something hit my mind. Lexi! She is the one that probably told somebody in my neighborhood. She probably realized that my annoying cousin was Len Rickson. It must of been her. I took a piss and washed my hand and face. I look in the mirror, 'How did it come to this?' before Len showed up at my door my life was moving pretty okay no worries about being caught by your neighbors finding out no worries about holding someone who escaped jail. Now my life is different with him in it. 

We were nearing the highway. Our first stop Bailey for food. While eating I will look at where to go next. Because I have no plan or idea where we are going but all I know is that we have to get out of Aspen Park for awhile. I will make a new start. Maybe run a pie business taking a break with writing for awhile and I mean for a long while. 

"What are you thinking about?" Len wondered seeing me in deep thought at the restaurant we stopped by at to eat dinner. 

I look up from the menu I was looking at, "Thinking about starting a small pie business," I look back down at the menu.

"So are you saying you are done with writing for newspapers?"

"For now."

For dinner we each ordered one beer and I ordered roasted chicken with garlic and Len ordered something cheap since I am paying for both of us and he doesn't want me to pay alot of money for his meal so he picked out pork chops and sweat and sour sauce to go with it. 

During the meal I was looking at the road map on my phone on where to go to next. I should drive for 2 hours and stop for us to rest for the night somewhere. 'Bed and Breakfast maybe?' I got it Colorado Springs! It is only one hour and 37 minutes away. I look up at Len, "I got on where we can go to sleep for the night," I showed the map to him, "Colorado Springs."

Len looks at my phone and nodded, "I think that's a good idea at least we are long ways away from Aspen Park."

I nod, "That's why I am driving there."

He looks at me, "Are you going to return there?"

I nod, "Yes when the town dies down about you. I mean I am not living there anymore but I need to get some stuff there that I didn't bring and to sell the house." 

Len gasps, "Your selling your house? But isn't that house full of memories for you?"

I sigh sadly, "I lived for most of my adult life in that house so yes the house does hold alot of memories but it is time to move on."