Chapter 7

I was speechless for awhile as he whispered those horrid words in my ear. I never would have guessed that. Murder. Murder. Murder! He murdered someone? Are you freaking kidding me! I will not have a murder in my house. I pushed him away from me and cupped my mouth looking at him.

"Shane?" he wonders softly, "Shane you ok?"

My eyes shine with horror. I couldn't speak. I was frozen. My mouth felt dry. 'He murdered someone," is what kept running through my mind, "I can't let him stay here.' I look up at him who looks concerned at me. I picked up my phone looking over at him he looked at me with a hint of fear but he stayed calm as I was about to dial the police station. 

"I was worried that you would do that so I didn't want to tell you," he says softly.

"You murdered someone! Why would I want to keep someone in my house that killed a person!"

"I had my reason."

A lady's voice answered my call. Wondering what is the reason for my call.

I was about to speak when I saw Len sitting at the table and putting his face in his hands. 'Was he shaking with fear?' The lady was wondering if I was still there, "Sorry I dialed the wrong number," I told her and hanged up. Len looks up at me. I saw that tears were behind his eyes which was shocking to see. He always looked so tough since he been here it is shocking and surprising to see him like this. I decided to calm down and hear him out.

"Why did you hang up on them?" he wondered.

"I need to know your part of the story before I give you to them."

He sighs and put his face in his hands, "I didn't want to kill him. I never did want to kill him. This horror past that I had in my child hood made me end up killing him."

"Horror past?" I asked softly and sat across from him at the table.

Len looked up. I was shocked when I saw tears running down his face, "I had a evil step father."

"Is he the one you killed?"

He nodded, "I hated him hated him so much that I wanted to make him suffer before I killed him. The way he made me and my sister suffer."

"You have a sister!" I said shocked, "why didn't you stay with her then?"

"She is in a special hospital for trying to kill herself twice."

I gasp, "Wow you been through alot haven't you?"

He nodded as he put his face in his hands, "I didn't...want... to kill him that...wasn't my intention. My mom decided to leave him  after she found out how he treated us and put a restraining order on him when I was 16. I decided to pay him a visit after I was done with college. One final visit. To ask him why he done those horrible things to us that till this day I still have nightmares from.  He told me the truth. That truth from him is what got me to kill him."

"How did you kill him?"

"He had a gun that was loaded in a glass cabinet. I decided to smash the glass with my bare fist and grabbed the gun. Before I pulled the trigger he told me not to kill him that he knows that I wouldn't actually want to be a killer."

"You still killed him though?"

He nodded having his face still in his hands, "Shot him right in the head."

I stayed quiet thinking.

"You can call the police now if you want to. It was wrong on what I did I know," he rubs his eyes with his hands.

I walk over to him and take his hands away from his eyes. I grab the tissue box from the counter  "If you keep rubbing your eyes like that they will get red and buffy," I handed him the box and backed away from him and over to the counter.

"Thanks," he says quietly. He rubs his eyes and looks over at me, "so are you going to tell the police on me now that you know the truth about me? I won't blame you if you do. It is wrong what I did. So if you want to turn me into the police. Go ahead?"

I stare at the floor wondering what my mom would do if she was still here. Would she let him stay even though he killed someone or turn him into the police. I mean if I had a evil step father I would of hated him with all my might but killing him seems to be to far. Then again I am not a person who ever kill anybody. Len seems to be telling the truth. He didn't want to kill him but apparently the evil man of his past decided to say something that got Len to commit murder. I look over at Len, "I am not turning you into the police. I mean I don't approve at all at what you did. Murder is something you shouldn't have done at all no matter how evil he was in your past. Still I am not going to bring you to the police. I mean it is not like you were killing a innocent person and you said it yourself you didn't mean to kill him. It was never your intention," I walk away from the kitchen, "you can hide here as long as you want too. " I left Len in the kitchen and walked upstairs and over to my bedroom. I needed a break from downstairs. Len seems like he needed some alone time for a bit. If you guys are wondering why I let him stay at my house even though I know the truth about him now it is because this is something my mother would of wanted. And like I said to Len it wasn't a innocent person he killed it was a evil man from his past. I won't ask about his past till he is ready to talk about it. I am not the type that pushes people in telling me. He first needs to probably learn to trust me before he is willing to tell me anyway. From the look on his face while talking about this evil man I think he is still feeling the horror from his childhood.

I need a shower to wash up after hearing that. I needed to get away from him for awhile. Wondering what to do next. I have now a killer at my house. As weird as it sounds and you probably think I am insane when I tell you this but I think it is sort of exciting and scary at the same time when you think that you have a killer in your house living with you.

The rest of the night I decided to stay up stairs and work on this new project my boss told me to do. This time it was a project on Denver airport where they found drugs in a black bag of a passenger who was trying to smuggle them in. What an idiot, 'Maybe he will try running over to my house and hide too?' I snort at that. Might as well run a house full of criminals. I already have one in the house. Joking. I snort at that. Maybe his sister will sneak out of this special hospital he told me about and hide in my house as well. It does feel nice to have the house have another person in it again. Was getting lonely without mom not around. I still miss her presence in the house though. When I was really little I remember her making puppets out of socks and played a little theater for me. Those puppets are right now in the basement never used anymore. I mean I did use them on my daughter when she was still here. She always loved her daddy playing princess stories with them. I open my drawer where a picture was kept. I look at it. It was a picture of my daughter she was 5 back then. Her name was Aleen. 

 My mother had a past like this on what happened to Len in his childhood my mother had a evil stepfather that she told me about. He committed suicide 4 years ago after losing to gambling.