Chapter 8

3 days later.

Me and Len were sitting in the living room during the evening. Both of us on the sofa. The news was on. It was him the news lady was talking about. That there is no trace of Len Rickson she was saying. I look over at Len who was staring at the screen. Wonder what he is thinking while looking at the news about him. He seems to be in deep thought too. I look back at my laptop screen. My document was blank.

"Having writer's block?" Len wondered looking over at the screen.

I sigh, "Seems like I am having alot of that lately even for my work."

"Is that why you quit writing for plays? Writers block?"

I shook my head, "No I wouldn't of quit if it is just writer block."

"Then why? Why give it up? It seems you used to be one of the best."

I nodded, "Yes and it is kind of a sensitive topic for me."

"Well I shared my horror of a step father with you which is also a sensitive topic."

I look down at my PC screen, "Why tell me then?"

"I took a chance to see if you let me stay and not turn me in if you knew the person I killed was my evil stepfather."

I sigh and look over at him, "I will make a deal with you if you decide to tell me about your horror of a past I will tell you why I quit writing plays. You probably not ready yet in telling me as I telling you. So lets wait till we know we can trust each other about our secrets."

"Well I trust you on not bringing me to the police."

"Yes but you were just a stranger not too long ago. This is a sensitive topic for me. I will not just tell anyone about it."

Len nodded with a smile, "It's ok I understand. I am still sort of a stranger to you still."

"Yes if you put it that way."

"So how do I become not a stranger to you anymore and become you know friends?"

I shot him a surprised look, "You want to be friends?" 'Me being friends with a criminal?' ok first I should stop calling him that before coming friends. 

"Well I am in your house afterall it would be a shame if we didn't try to become friends."

I nodded, "Agreed," it doesn't make sense to have a person living in your house who is not a friend and just a person who is hiding in your house, "Well the first step of becoming friends is to know eachother bit better first. Like what town did you grow up in?"

His face fell.

I realized what I just asked him, "Oops that is connected to your horror past I am guessing. OK new topic what town were you born in?"

"Denver."

"What's your sister's name?"

"Sarah. We are really close."

"Why did she try to kill herself and how long as she been in that hospital?"

Len looks down at the floor, "Our horror past got her into taking drugs and she overdosed on them twice. She been in that type of hospital for 5 months now."

"Wow so it was resent," he nodded, "very resent," I look down at the pc screen, 'I still need to write my project tonight.' it won't write itself wish it did though would of been neat. Maybe one day I will have enough money to buy something like that. Where you just have to say the words on the PC and it writes itself for you in the document. "Keep talking if you like I am just going to finish this project."

"Alright then. It is time for me to ask you questions. What town were you born in?"

"This one. I lived here my whole life," I answered as I typed away at the screen, "it is time to move away from here."

He gasps, "Move? You want to move? When?" he looks a bit frightened like he thinks I am moving tomorrow or something.

"Relax I am not leaving till next month."

Len breathed in a sigh of relief, "Have to think of somewhere else to hide then when your gone. My sister is the only relative living in this town. My mother lives in different part of Colorado now."

I stopped typing and look over at him, "Got any friends you could stay with?"

He shook his head, "Only the ones that are in prison that I made while jailed. I did have a few friends outside of prison before I committed murder but after they all shutted me out ."

I wasn't surprised by that. They probably fear him now and want nothing to do with a murder, "Might as well come with me then," came out of my mouth which surprised me after those words came out. And I looked at him.

Len gasps at this with surprise, "Did...did you...just ask me...to come move with you?" he seemed sort of speechless.

My mouth went dry. I didn't actually mean to say that, it sort of slipped out. I wasn't thinking correctly either when I told Len that he can move with me. He might as well though. I mean eventually the police will find him in this small town. "Yes I did," I decided to answer.

It was 12 o'clock now. Len went to bed and I am up here in my room. Laying on the bed, reading a book. It is a bit windy out tonight as I hear my tree crashing on my window. Rubbing my eyes it was time for me to go to bed as I put my book down and over to the bathroom to brush my teeth and a piss. I still can't believe I asked Len to come move with me. Are we going to be roommates or something or is he going to live on his own when he knows he is a free man. I mean over here the police will be still looking for him. One day they will probably knock on my door and search my house. Pretty sure they are searching every where by now. Maybe we have to move out of here sooner then a month. 

   I felt a cold draft in the room. I felt soft lips on my lips. I open my eyes. My wife's white angel face inches away from mine. I felt warm hands on my chest, "Hey beautiful," I breathed, "you know how much I miss you my love."

She nodded, "Yes my love. I am still here with you though in your heart. I will always have your heart," she softly said to me.

"There is no one else I want anyway my dear you are the only one I want and love. No one can take your place."

She nodded with a smile, "Would you like to see your daughter?"

I nodded as I felt tears in my eyes, "Please let me see her." a angel child flew through my open window, "Aleen," I breathed.

"Daddy," she gave me her ever so cute grin with two teeth missing, "I love you daddy."

My heart skipped a beat as I heard those words, "Love you too sunshine," I breathed out an ache in my chest in my sleeping form. 

I open my eyes. A pain in my chest. I saw my daughter and my wife in my dream. I mean I been dreaming about my wife alot lately but my daughter saying that she loves me. I haven't heard her say those in my dream for 2 months now. I sat up and put a hand on my chest, "I love you too sunshine," I mouth the name that I always used to call her, "I will always love you." I breathed heavily laying back on the bed. I close my eyes listening to my daughter's voice in the dream saying that she loves me over and over again. When I went back to dreamland my wife and daughter weren't in it. I woke up in the morning with a sad look on my face. I wanted to see them ones more before the night was over. 

The smell of bacon and eggs came through my door. It smelt wonderful. Been awhile since someone cooked on my stove down stairs besides me. Yet alone bacon and eggs for breakfast.