Chapter 40

[RECAP: The half-term holidays are over, and it's back to bleak, wintry St Winifred's for Leonie...]

Mother Benedict had a surprise announcement at the first assembly after the half-term vacation.

"As you may know, the actress Anthea Flyte is one of our most renowned old girls. She studied at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts after leaving St Winifred's, going on to have a very successful career on the stage and screen. I am sure we have all enjoyed many of her performances over the years."

Mai nudged Leonie and muttered under her breath. "She's pretty much the only renowned old girl the school has produced. Unless you count missionaries."

Leonie had heard of Anthea Flyte and had seen her in a movie. She was primarily a stage actress.

"Miss Flyte was recently appointed to the board of RADA. She has written to me to announce a new scholarship for a girl from St Winifred's to attend the Academy. Such a girl will, of course, need to win a place there through the usual route. But if there is a successful applicant, she will enjoy free tuition, living accommodation and expenses during her three years in London."

There was a buzz of interest at this news. While many of the girls came from families who could afford to pay for a university degree, to get a scholarship would be hugely prestigious.

To Leonie it would mean the world. She wouldn't need her parents' or her grandmother's approval. She could pursue her chosen career, from an amazing start.

And she would be in the same country as Gabriel. Her dreams of Juilliard had already been overshadowed by the prospect of being an ocean away from him. Even if he continued to reject anything more than friendship, she couldn't bear the thought of being so far from him.

Leonie looked over towards where he was sitting with other staff members. He looked incredibly handsome but she didn't dare to catch his eye. Now that she knew he had feelings for her it was all starting to feel like too much of a risk.

Instead she glanced down at her hymnbook. He was surely going to talk to her and not avoid her. She didn't think she could bear it if he blew cold again.

Outside, many students were talking about the scholarship. Leonie remembered how she had felt when she had seen the exterior of the famous Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts in London. It had only been a short detour from the British Museum on one of her sightseeing trips, and she hadn't been able to resist dropping by. She had simultaneously felt an excitement at seeing it, coupled with a despair that her grandmother might reject such a dream outright.

Now there was a chance. A small, shining chance.

Of course it all hung around getting accepted there. The application process involved several rounds of auditions, and there were over a hundred applicants for every place. There was every chance that no one from St Winifred's would be successful.

Leonie saw Suki shoot her a glare, and realised the other girl was as determined as she was to apply for the scholarship. She would be no easy competition. The prospect of more than one student from a single school winning a place must be vanishingly small as well.

As they walked to English class, Mai and Figgy were urging Leonie to apply. "You're the most talented actress here, you could easily beat Suki Laverne," Figgy said.

"I'd like to see you get it just so I could see the look on that cow's face," Mai said.

Leonie wondered how many students might apply.

"It's hard to say," Figgy said. "There may be people who weren't considering studying theatre who decide to give it a go. I believe the application process is very tough though. There are endless rounds of auditions. A cousin of mine had a friend who applied, but she didn't get all the way through."

It sounded pretty similar to Juilliard. To get into that school also required various auditions and callbacks. Leonie knew it was going to be a long and difficult path to follow her dream career, but she was determined to do all she could to get there. Nothing felt so right as being on stage, getting inside the skin of a character.

They arrived at the English classroom and took their places, waiting for Father Gabriel to arrive. Harry shot Leonie a glance, guessing what she must be going through. They had spoken briefly about it the previous evening, out of earshot of Figgy and Mai. It wasn't that Leonie didn't trust the other two, it was just such a huge secret that it seemed unwise to let too many people know. Harry had effectively guessed.

There was also something very independent about Harry. She went her own way and did her own thing. She didn't care what other people thought, and didn't judge Leonie for having fallen in love with a priest.

The door opened and the man in question entered. Leonie's stomach turned over. Somehow she got through the lesson on a kind of autopilot.

Afterwards, when the bell went and Father Gabriel dismissed the class, Leonie gathered up her folders, intending to leave with the others.

But he called out to her just before she could exit.

"Leonie Wilson, could you please see me for a moment." His tone was entirely cold and formal.

Was he angry? What had she done?

Feeling her stomach flip with nerves, she stayed behind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

She won the part in the play, but will she win the scholarship?

And what does Father Gabriel want now...?