Chapter 65

[RECAP: Leonie and Father Gabriel are both struggling with being back at St Winifred's and having to pretend nothing is going on...]

Gabriel knew that something was up as soon as he read Suki Laverne's essay. There were several ideas in it that he remembered discussing with Leonie, and he didn't think that Suki had the ability to have come up with them herself.

It could be coincidence. Except for the fact that Leonie's essay was both rushed, and contained none of them.

He was certain that Suki had somehow taken Leonie's work, but he knew his hands were tied when it came to dealing with the girl. He could face the fallout himself but he wasn't going to put Leonie through it. He felt a white fury that Leonie was suffering at the hands of her classmate, and that if he tried to help her, it would only make it worse.

Six more months. Somehow they must both survive it.

He couldn't in all conscience not award Suki's essay an A. He also couldn't give Leonie's effort anything more than a B. It wasn't part of their coursework so it wouldn't affect her overall exam results, but it was still unfair.

Gabriel had also been steeling himself for a serious discussion with Father Stephen. He knew he needed to break the news that he would be leaving the church, and the longer he left it the harder it would be.

That evening, as they ate a lamb curry that Father Stephen had cooked, Gabriel broached the subject.

"I have given a lot of thought to your advice, and my own situation over the past weeks. It has brought me to a decision, though not an easy one."

Father Stephen set down his glass. "I feared it would be a difficult decision for you, whichever way it went."

"I have decided to leave the church. Or my vocation, at least."

It was out. Gabriel was anticipating shock and condemnation. But Father Stephen only gave a kind, if sad, smile.

"I thought it would be such. I have prayed for you, my son, and I will continue to do so. I know that you face a difficult journey."

"You think I am making a mistake?" Gabriel was concerned. "That I should pray more, for a different outcome?" He had no intention of doing this.

Father Stephen raised a hand. "No, no, you misunderstand. Neither choice was wrong. Leaving the priesthood does not mean leaving God or the church. It simply means that your devotion will follow a different path, and that you may have more earthly love ahead of you than solely spiritual love." He piled up some more rice and meat on his fork.

This brought Gabriel onto an even more delicate issue. "Can I continue in my duties, having made this decision? I had thought to wait until the end of the school year, so that I could at least fulfil my tasks here."

"I see no problem with that. It is not as though a formal divorce takes place. After all, we have lay ministry. Have you considered that as a possible alternative?"

Gabriel had not. "It's something to consider."

"Well then, think upon that, and by all means continue as you are until the end of the year. I have no objections to you continuing with your offices, though if there are some you wish to decline then I am happy to cover those duties."

"Thank you." Gabriel had already decided that it would no longer be appropriate for him to hear Confession. Having sinned so mortally himself, he could hardly order others to atone for their trespasses.

"And of course this need not affect your teaching work," Father Stephen continued. He got up and began clearing the table, carrying the plates to the sink. "You will be missed, Gabriel. But I suspect there is someone out there who is looking to a new and happy future as a result of your decision."

Literally out there. Gabriel thought of Leonie just across the courtyard in the main school building, and wondered how horrified Father Stephen would be if he knew the full truth. He felt some considerable guilt that he was withholding this from his colleague. But it would only put Father Stephen in a very difficult position if he did learn of it, and bring embarrassment and scandal to the school.

Later, lying in bed, Gabriel thought of Leonie again. Not that she was ever far from his mind or his heart. He had vowed to at least remain celibate over the coming term, which meant not even indulging in fantasies about her. But conjuring up the image of her in his mind left him so aroused that he struggled to sleep.

It wasn't just about missing her physically. Gabriel also longed to be with her. To hear her laugh, and talk with her, and simply spend time in her company. English lessons were a form of exquisite torture for him. He got to see her, but there was a wall between them.

At Easter he fully planned to tear it down. He needed her. He needed to be one flesh with her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can they keep it a secret until Easter?!!!