Chapter 69

[RECAP: It's Leonie's final night at St Winifred's, before she sets off for London and the start of her movie career...]

On the way back from lunch, Leonie passed Mother Benedict and Father Stephen in the entrance hall. Father Stephen carried a small bag with him and was wearing a coat as if going out.

"I hope the convention goes well Father, and we'll see you later tomorrow," the headmistress was saying.

"Thank you. I should be back well before evening." The priest nodded to Leonie and her dorm mates, and went out into the driveway.

"Is Father Stephen going away?" Mai asked.

"Just for the night. He's attending a meeting of Catholic school ministers, which has a very early start tomorrow. Father Gabriel remains here in his place," Mother Benedict said, and returned to her own office.

Leonie thought the obvious. But she wouldn't have dared to act on it if Mai hadn't nudged her.

"So, Father Gorgeous is all alone tonight, is he?" Mai was grinning. "Maybe it's time you paid a midnight visit to his bedroom."

Figgy was very shocked. "Mai! As if that would be appropriate in any way."

Mai shrugged. "I don't see why not. After all, Leonie leaves tomorrow. So long as she's not parading around the presbytery in her knickers by the time Father Stephen gets back, I don't see the harm."

Leonie said nothing. The image that Mai was putting in her mind was hugely tempting.

Harry was practical as ever. "You'd have to get out pretty carefully. It can be done by the drainpipe, but it depends how good you are at gym. And in the pitch dark, of course."

"Or she could just slip out of the front door," Mai said.

"The bolt is very heavy and noisy. And there's bound to be some sister doing Vigils or whatever in the middle of the night, who walks past and hears," Harry said.

Mai was undeterred. "We could make a rope from knotted sheets. And then stuff Leonie's bed with clothes so it looked like she was still there, in case Matron came round."

Leonie was quite amazed at her friends trying to arrange this incredibly risky and doubtless sinful escapade for her. It was all starting to sound very Girls' Adventure Story. "I don't think he - Father Gabriel - would approve," she said as they climbed the stairs to Pentecost dorm.

"Good God, don't tell him!" Harry said. "Just slip in there and surprise him. After all you may not see him for weeks. Months, even. I think you're entitled to one last, illicit tryst."

"Make sure he has a good memory of what he's going to be missing," Mai added.

Figgy was still looking very uncomfortable. "It's not that I have anything against you two," she said to Leonie, "but it does seem terribly risky, for both of you."

"They're both consenting adults, what's the worst that can happen?" Mai asked.

There was silence for a few moments. The worst that could happen would be a scandal of apocalyptic and far reaching impact, if it ever got out. A schoolgirl and a Catholic priest. Leonie could only imagine what the newspaper headlines would be.

Harry had a strangely yearning look in her eyes. "I almost wish it would get out, if only to enjoy the fireworks. What an absolutely spectacular outrage it would cause. But seriously, it won't get out. They'd hush it all up, particularly as you're leaving."

"Do you really think I should do this?" Leonie asked.

"Only if you want to. But he's absolutely gorgeous and crazy about you. I wouldn't hesitate, in your shoes."

It was a tantalising idea. Leonie longed to be with Gabriel. But the practicalities were daunting. "What would I wear?" She could hardly imagine showing up for a liaison in her school winter pyjamas and dressing gown. At the cottage she had avoided wearing anything in bed, but it was warm there. Tiptoeing across the courtyard in subzero temperatures would require more than a t-shirt.

Harry didn't see an issue. "The man is a Catholic priest, for heaven's sake. You could turn up in Mother Benedict's bedsocks and wimple and he wouldn't notice, compared to having you there in his bedroom."

"He might even be turned on. Maybe you should borrow a habit with nothing under it and go and flash him," Mai suggested, an evil grin on her face.

"Not unless she's playing the lead role in Carry On Nun," Harry said. "He'd more likely burst out laughing. You'll have to put a coat on. The night air will be freezing."

They had reached the dorm, where Leonie threw herself down on her bed. "I'm not going to really do this, though, am I?"

"You'll regret it if you don't," Harry said.

Would she? The thought of being Gabriel's bed - in his arms - was beyond amazing to Leonie. But did she dare?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Will she dare?

Would you dare?!