s i x • the rumor mill

Professor Snape entered the class loudly, his robe flying after him as he walked, closing the blinds with his wand.
I was well aware why Remus couldn't teach today. He was in his office, resting from yesterday's full moon. I was planning to go visit him after this lesson, especially now. I had a feeling Snape would do something annoying and I'd tell all about it to Remus.

"Turn to page 394." He stated, tapping a machine with his wand, making pictures appear on the board.

"Excuse me sir, where's professor Lupin?" Harry, who I was sitting behind asked.

"That's really not your concern, is it Potter? Your professor finds himself incapable of teaching at the present time. Turn to page 394." Snape pointed to Ron's book with his wand, making the book go to the required page.

"Werewolves?" Ron asked in disbelief.

"But sir, we've just begun learning about red caps and hinkypunks, we're not meant to start learning werewolves for weeks." Said Hermione, who I'd only now noticed was here.

"Quiet." Snape hissed at Hermione.

"All due respect sir, but you are a substitute teacher, you should follow the lead of Professor Lupin." I stated.

"If you have any complaints, please consult your godfather, miss Black." Snape said, his tone mocking when he said 'godfather'.

I scoffed so silently that even I barely heard it, mumbling 'I will, don't you worry.'

"Turn to page 394." Snape hissed again. "Now, which one of you can tell me the difference between an animagus and a werewolf?" Hermione's hand shot up to the air as she was still sorting herself out on the desk, moving around her books as if she just got here.

"No one? How disappointing." Snape said, ignoring Hermione's hand and mocking her with his tone.

"Please sir, an animagus is a wizard who elects to turn into an animal, a werewolf has no choice, with each full moon when he transforms the werewolf no longer remembers who he is, he'd kill his best friend if he crossed his path, furthermore the werewolf only responds to the call of his own kind." Hermione said, but was interrupted by Malfoy. He had decided it would be a good idea to mimic a howl of a wolf, also mocking Hermione.

I glared at him and he shut up. Ever since the detention we had together, he had been extremely silent every time we were in a room together, shushing his peers when they started to mock me or anyone I cared about. My life had become far more easy now that I didn't have to deal with his nonsense.

"Thank you, Mr. Malfoy, that is the second time you've spoken out of term Miss Granger, are you incapable of restraining yourself or do you take pride in being an insufferable know it all? 5 points from Gryffindor."

"Since when do teachers take points for intelligence?" I asked, making Fiona elbow me to get me to shut up.

"Since speaking out of term was forbidden." Snape stated, turning around to face me. I was suddenly filled with this careless attitude, not afraid of saying anything.

"That's a brilliant way to motivate students isn't it? Ms. Granger clearly knew the answer, you ignored her, then she told you the correct answer and you punish her. That is hardly fair." I stated.

"Do you have a problem with how I teach miss Black?" Snape asked monotonously.

"Yes, I have a problem with you purposefully taking points from Gryffindor, in order to increase the chances of Slytherin winning the house cup." I accused, making half of the class gasp. No one had ever stood up to Snape before. I was just saying what everyone was thinking.
What was especially shocking to everyone, was that I was protecting a house that wasn't my own. No Slytherin would do such a thing. None of my classmates stood up to Snape, especially when he was increasing Slytherin's chances of winning. My morals were too strong to just stay quiet when we were winning unfairly and Hermione was my friend.
Snape got up to my face, only about a foot away.