1. The Beginning of Sharna Davis

Case File #1

(Sharna's POV)

Some People dream of fame, money, power, love,... etc, but I'm a simple person, I only dream of one thing, I just want to become a detective. Every day, I wake up with this little hope, that powers me up, the hope that today will finally be different and my dream will come true. For the past 2 years, I 've been working at the station supposedly as a police officer, but somehow it feels like a personal secretary for my sexist boss, Detective Howard Young.

I wake up every day early just to get ready, I mean when my chance to prove myself finally comes I wanna look good catching the murderer. But it's been too long and I feel hope is starting to fade away, I'm being sucked into this hole of nothingness; am I gonna ever get a chance?

I do nothing except getting the mail, answer the phone, make coffee and when I'm lucky I go to the printing room, but that's definitely not what I signed up for, that's not the required experience to become a detective.

I wrapped my chestnut hair in a bun to go and finish buttoning up my uniform, I need to leave before Johnny gets home from his shift, I don't want him to see me that way all hopeless, it'll just make me feel worse.

I took a cab and arrived at the station. "3 minutes late, Davis" Says Detective Howard.

"Good morning to you too" nothing more pleasant than seeing you every morning, ugh.

Mail, check. Coffee, check. I sat at my desk waiting for that moment when the door to my dreams opens until that phone call.

"Police station. How may I help you"

"My son hasn't been back from school yet and he was supposed to be here an hour ago"

"Okay, calm down Ms. How old is he and what school does he go to?"

"9 and Easton Elementary School"

"Okay, we'll be right there and don't worry we'll find him!"

Finally! It's my moment, I can feel it. I need to talk to Howard and convince him to let me go this time. I walked into his office trying to act all confident, but still trying to act nice to be able to feed his arrogance.

"Sir, Detective Young. We have a case, a missing child"

"Has he been missing for 24 hours?"

"No, but he's just a kid and his mom is freaking out"

"Did you take his info?"

"Yes, " I said handing him the note, then I leaned forward fake smiling "I was thinking, sir, if I can go out on this one and finally leave my office for some real police experience. I mean I've been here for 2 years now, but I was never allowed to go on sight, so I was thinking maybe this time since it's a smaller kind of case, it would be my first. Of course if you..."

"Blah blah, mumbling. You're not ready and the fact that you think a missing child case is a small one proves you're even less ready than I thought. Full stop." He said jokingly

"No, I didn't mean it that way, I just..."

"Go back to your work Davis"

"That's my work and it's not fair Mike and Caleb have been here for a shorter time than me and they get their own cases, why can't I?"

"I said it before and not just today, so stop wasting my time and yours and let the real men handle this."

"Excuse me?!" I was furious "Is that what it's all about? Me being a woman, because I remember perfectly getting my Criminal Justice degree and the Police Academy training just like everyone else in this building, So what does my gender has to do with this?"

"Well, it's a known scientific fact that men are stronger"

"That's crap" I lost it. "I've been taking your shit for way too long and I can't anymore" I knew from his reaction it would my last day, but I needed to get the words out of my mouth. "You're sexist, you think I can't handle it because I'm a woman, so I'm 'weak' and you can't trust me because you think all women are non-trust-worthy like your cheating ex-wife and you know what I don't really blame her for looking outside and not being able to stand you, I don't even understand how you got her to say YES in the first place" We were both silent for a moment, I can't believe I said that I sort of feel bad for him, but he's a jerk so Nah. "Psychology was my second major in college, so I know a lot".

"Get out, " he said angrily

"You don't get to tell me what to do. Sir?"

"I said get out Sharon" this time he sounded calm but strict.

"It's Sharna, not Sharon and speaking of names, Your's suck" I should have stopped here. "Howard Young? Really? You've got the oldest, up-tightest and closest mind I've ever seen. Now I'm done, I'm out of here."

"Sharon, you're fired"

"You can't fire me because I quit" I don't know how I got all of that nerve. Who am I? Part of me is really proud, but part of me wishes I'm still in my little office on the phone with that freaking out mom.

I walked to the door then turned to him dramatically "Sharna Davis, Detective Sharna Davis. Remember that name well, detective."

I walked out of the door leaving a whole chapter of my life behind, not knowing where I'm heading or if what I did was the right thing, but I never knew it would be my moment, the beginning of my path to becoming who I want to be.

I left the station, walking outside felt refreshing, but also worrying simply because that was the first time in my life when I didn't know what was next. I always have a plan and that one wasn't working and all of a sudden I found myself in front of the park rather than my home.

When I was younger, my dad used to take me here a lot to play with dogs since I couldn't get one because of my mom's allergy. I walked in and sat on my favorite bench trying to think of good memories instead of my current life.

I'm worried my chance to become a detective is gone, I'm worried I'm gonna have to get another job that I hate and there's nothing worse than being stuck with a job for eternity. "If things are not happening, make them happen yourself" it clicked to me, my dad always used to tell me that and it's true I can be a detective just not a police detective. Oh, my God, I'm so excited and I can't hold my smile; I bet people are staring at me thinking I'm crazy!

Hey everyone :) So that's the end of the first chapter, I know it's a short one, but chapters, later on, will be longer I promise. Anyways, hope you like it, so please let me know your thoughts and thanks for reading.