6. A Key Witness

Case File #6

(1st Crime)

After the meeting with Clair at the park, Sharna went home to review the files, she prepared her coffee and sat down on the couch reading them, but all she could find was proof of William and Derek's money transfers, the changes in Steve's percentages at the company and numbers, lots of them.

"This is endless!" she thought "There's no proof of any sort that they killed him"

Sharna was a little bit disappointed, so she decided to start working on another clue, the mysterious bartender. She opened her laptop and started researching about him, but all she could find is his CV applying for so many different job on several websites.

"He needs money, he had needle marks; maybe the drugs with Eva wasn't coincidence?" Sharna said out loud as Emily was walking near her.

"Have you found out anything new? Are you close to solving this?" Emily asked

"I don't know" she sighed "I have 2 more leads that I'm planning to work on tomorrow, but I'm not sure what comes next"

"I'm sure you'll figure it out then"

"I really hope so. Em," Sharna said "there's something though that I wanna talk to you about" she then told her about what happened with Johnny at the hospital "I'm really confused, I know we had to break up, but still I don't want to see him with this other woman"

"I know what you mean, of course you'll miss him, but you said it, you had to break up and you'll have to move on sooner or later"

"Is it weird that I just want us to go back to at least being friends?"

Emily laughed "I think you just wanna find a way to squeeze yourself back into his life"

"Distract me, please!" Sharna said joking

"Okay. let me help you detective, I'll be your apprentice. So what are the 2 new lead?"

"I have to go visit Eleanor and know why she left early, maybe she knew something or.."

"or was running from something" Emily added proudly

"Exactly! and I need to find the bartender who also left early after just pouring the drinks. I got his address, but nothing more, so hopefully I'll find him there"

"Maybe I can drive you on my way to work tomorrow?"

"That will be great, Eleanor's house is actually on the way"

After a while of chatting about the case, they both went to their rooms to get some sleep, but Sharna couldn't and she just kept tossing and turning in her bed, checking her phone every few minutes hoping it'll soon be morning.

"Maybe I should talk to Mr. Humphrey?" she thought thinking that maybe he knows best about Daniel Fisher. "Or maybe Jeff is lying and trying to frame Daniel?" her mind kept going back and forth between ideas unable to get some rest.

She then got out of her bed wore a hoodie on top of her PJ and went out walking on her toes so that she wouldn't wake anyone, it was only 4 am.

She walked around in the calm night observing the sky, the clouds and the stars until she met a familiar face from opposite the street, it was Johnny, so she decided to turn the other way before he saw her, but he noticed her first.

"Sharna" he called "is that you?" he approached her "what are you doing here at this time?"

"Walking, wondering, I don't know, couldn't sleep. You?"

"I have a long shift, I just went to get something to eat. Still working on the case?"

"Yes, my mind can't stop actually, it's all new and a huge responsibility knowing that there's a loose murderer that can commit other crimes out there"