2. Ready to Lose it All

Case File #2

After a 23-hour shift at the hospital, doctor Johnny went back home to his girlfriend Sharna. He opened the door and went into their small cozy apartment which smelled like homemade food for the first time in a very long time.

"Mmm delicious," he said going into the kitchen then he walked over to her and planted a kiss on her cheek. "I haven't seen you cook in a very long time. Is it safe to eat?" he laughed

"Don't make fun of my cooking, I can't be good at everything" she joked "help me set the table please, I have big news"

"Can't wait." He said as he grabbed the plates.

Dinner was ready, a Spaghetti Meatball pie. Sharna and Johnny sat opposite from each other eating until Sharna decided to break the silence with her big news.

"I quit my job"

"What? Are you kidding? You loved your job"

"I did not. I've always wanted to be a detective, yes, but my job was gonna lead me nowhere, so my big news is that I'm gonna be a private detective"

"I'm not sure you thought that through, that's not gonna pay anything"

"It will, eventually."She paused "Was I supposed to stay stuck forever in a job that I hate just for the money? That's awful"

"Wasn't our plan to save for our future, together?"

"I do want to save for our future, but we don't have to get a fancy wedding and a honeymoon all over Europe, simplicity is key. Johnny, this is something that I've wanted for so long and I was never brave enough to pursue, all I'm asking for is some support"

"I want to support you, but it feels a little bit selfish. I've been taking long shifts, working days and nights at the hospital saving for our future and you're not doing the same here. It feels like I always put our relationship first but for you, it's not the same"

"Johnny you know that I love you, but you also know from the first day you met me how much I care about this and how much I want it, it's my dream"

"I thought we were, but good to know" his voice was breaking because he knew what that moment meant "I'm not hungry anymore, I'm gonna go to bed." He said as he got out of his seat.

"The first time we met I told you that the 'perfect family' fantasy is not my thing. I told you that the happy couple with regular jobs, 2 children, a boy and a girl, in a warm lovely home is not the future I want"

"I thought you changed your mind. Why be with me then?"

"Because I love you? But I can't change who I am either"

They were both silent for the rest of the night, Johnny stayed to eat the rest of his food and so did Sharna then they both went to bed without saying a word.

The next morning, the two of them were pretending as if nothing happened, they both wanted to deny it. They ate their breakfast and made coffee.

"I'm going to Emily's today to ask her to do my ad"

"Good luck, she's a great graphic designer. Do you want milk with your coffee or just black"

"Maybe a little milk. Thanks. So how long is your shift today?"

"A shorter one"

"Good luck to you too"

They both knew things were awkward, but none of them wanted to reopen yesterday's fight, it was their first big fight and they didn't know what it meant.