Chapter 5

Reader's POV

I awoke to silent snoring next to me. Vanoss was sound asleep, looking peaceful and innocent as he slept. I stretched and got out of bed. I began to follow the faint smell of bacon that was wafting in the air.

I found Nogla in the kitchen cooking breakfast. Basically was there with him, along with his guard Nanners. They were all happily chatting away as Nogla prepared the food.

"Good morning," Basically waved to me.

"Morning," I mumbled, still not entirely awake.

"Vanoss still asleep?" Nogla asked as he flipped the bacon strips to the other side.

"He's out like a light," I replied as I remembered his peaceful sleeping face.

"That's unusual of him. Typically he's first up. He likes to wake up early to work out," Basically said surprised.

"Maybe he couldn't sleep or something," Nanners commented.

I blushed, realizing that I was probably the reason he didn't get enough sleep. The others except for Wildcat and Panda didn't know we shared a bed last night, and I wanted to keep it that way.

Footsteps followed behind me and entered the kitchen. I turned around to see a very tired Vanoss. He had a blank expression and his hair was a mess.

"Morning Sleeping Beauty," Basically laughed. Vanoss glared at him and squinted his eyes to tell him to shut up. Basically didn't make any more comments, but he had a large grin on his face as Vanoss lazily sat down at the table.

"Eating some breakfast will help wake you up," Nogla said as he set a plate down in front of Vanoss with various breakfast foods on it.

"Wow, that looks really good. I had no idea you could cook," I smiled at the sight of the breakfast Nogla prepared.

"Thanks, I decided to do it when everyone else refused to," he chuckled and handed me a plate as well. I thanked him and sat down next to Vanoss, who was already devouring his breakfast.

"Here, it's first-come first-served, so you guys get the food I didn't mess up or burn,"Nogla said as he passed Basically and Nanners plates.

A few others began to slowly come in and join us. When I had finished my food, everyone except Panda and Wildcat were in the kitchen. I could imagine they drank too much last night and had major hangovers.

Vanoss was no longer looking like a zombie. He had finished his food and sat there talking with the others who came in late.

"We're still going to the shooting range today, right?" Mini asked as he finished chewing a piece of bacon.

"Yeah. But, if Wildcat and Panda are still sleeping when we're all ready to leave, they're staying here," Vanoss replied.

"Was he up late drinking?" Lui asked.

"Yeah, and Panda joined him," Vanoss said.

"We always know when he's been drinking the night before because he's never late to breakfast," Nogla commented.

"Unless he was drinking the night before, of course," Moo added.

"Yup, because he knows food is first-come first-served," Nogla said as he put some dirty plates in the dishwasher.

"But at least he doesn't drink too often," Delirious said as he finished his food.

I thought it was humorous that they lived together for so long that they knew little details like this. It made me wish I had a roommate, but at the same time it made me glad I didn't have a roommate.

I began to squirm at the thought of going to a shooting range. It meant I could demonstrate my abilities to everyone. I could finally gain Vanoss's trust. I was more excited to show them all up. Regardless, they would no longer doubt me and I was happy to get that out of the way.

The time came to go to the shooting range. Wildcat had awaken, along with Panda. They both had headaches, but they said they would still come along.

I was only bringing my briefcase with my pocket knives, throwing knives, and my pistol and extra ammo. The other guards were also doing the same. But the rest of them were bringing huge military grade weapons. I figured it was overkill, but they apparently use weapons like those quite often.

We packed up in some sport cars and left the apartment. I was quiet, but I was secretly in high spirits as we made our way to the shooting range.

I climbed out of the car as soon as we arrived and I didn't hesitate to run over to the targets. I set my briefcase down on a bench nearby and I pulled out all of my throwing knives. I felt eyes glued to me as I held my knives and stared at the target, preparing myself.

I raised one arm and took a deep breath as everyone else stood silently behind me.

"Here goes nothing," I silently sighed to myself. I arched my arm back and thrusted it forward, and I watched as the knife left my hand and hit the bullseye. I quickly collected the other knives and threw them in a volley of knives. I spun around and flung the knife and it hit it's target. I spun the last knife around my index finger before flinging it from my side and hitting in the bullseye, surrounded by ten other knives all in a large circle in the center.

I went over to the target and collected my knives silently. I walked over to a pile of martial arts dummies and pulled one out. Everyone else silently stared at me as I demonstrated the karate I learned over the past seven years. I wouldn't consider myself amazing at karate, but I'm better than most at it. I took pride in my karate skills the most. I finished the dummy off by spin kicking the dummy and watching it fall to the ground.

I wiped sweat off of my forehead and turned to lock eyes with everyone else standing there. Ohm, Nanners, Panda, and Sark have already seen my skills, so they weren't as slack jawed as everyone else.

"I... Uh... Wow," was all that Nogla could manage.

"That was sick," Basically mumbled, a large grin forming across his face. I smiled and gave a little bow. I curiously looked over at Vanoss, just to see his reaction. He had a complicated expression, and I couldn't tell what his emotion was. Nonetheless, as the others surrounded me to talk, I ignored him and happily chatted with them.

We spent the rest of the day showing off our skills to each other. We all had a lot of fun, except for Vanoss. He was a wallflower and stayed by himself the entire time.

I finished dressing myself after my shower and I brushed my wet hair. When I exited the bathroom into Vanoss's room, I find him passed out on the bed. He must've been tired because he didn't wake up after I shook him a little. He was sprawled out in the middle of the bed, making it hard for me to be able to get in bed.

I sighed to myself and tried to squeeze in beside him. After some pushing, I was eventually able to get some space to lay down. I quietly laid there and fell asleep while listening to Vanoss snore.