Chapter 8

°<_ Still Vanoss's POV _>°

I laid there quietly, staring at the ceiling as (y/n) slept by my side. I was thinking back to our first encounter with Phoenix, and what all had happened up until that point.

I still remember the day we collided. I remember the leader, who's name was Logan, giving us a friendly smile as he offered to have a peace treaty, or something of that nature, with our gang.

"We will be able to do so much as a whole. Why don't we join forces?"

In that moment I had glanced nervously at Wildcat. I knew these guys were a bunch of snakes who liked taking advantage of people when they could. We shouldn't have accepted it, but Logan was somehow able to convince me. I foolishly let my guard down. He had put on a friendly persona, and I had ignorantly thought he wouldn't trick us.

We then continuously lost money, weaponry, and our cartel. It should've been obvious it was Phoenix, more specifically Logan. They stole our things and used them and sold them for their own merit. When I finally pieced the puzzle together, I confronted Logan and he threatened to eliminate The Vanoss Crew from exsistence. I knew Phoenix outnumbered us, so I had no choice but to let him continue to use us and steal from us. This was to only last until we were able to find a way to fight back.

I then set up explosives in their base while they were unaware. We fled and watched their headquarters explode. Most of Phoenix had escaped unscathed, but they lost some men. Logan swore he would murder me with his bare hands that day as we fled. He screamed and cursed at us while we drove away.

We promptly decided to relocate, and we've also decided it was unsafe to leave until we knew Logan was gone, along with what remained of Phoenix. We worked on improving our strength and weaponry after that.

Not too long after we relocated, we decided to have the agency send some help. That's when Ohm, Nanners, Panda, Sark, and (y/n) showed up.

I came out of my thoughts to look over at (y/n). I hoped she knew I felt safe having her guard me, after I saw what she was capable of.

She began to restlessly toss and turn, as if she was nervous as she slept. I could see her face twist in panic and fear. She began to sweat and her breathing grew heavy.

She's having a nightmare. I should wake her up.

"Hey," I spoke in a panic as I shook her.

She quickly sat up and looked around. Her body was shaking as she slowly came to grips with her surroundings. Her breathing was still heavy, and she looked terrified.

"You okay?" I inquired worriedly.

"Y-yeah, just a nightmare," she huffed. She rested her hand on her chest to feel how hard her heart was beating.

I could tell she still wasn't completely relaxed, so I wrapped my arm around her back and pulled her into an embrace. As she laid her head against my chest, I could feel her heartbeat. I rubbed my hand up and down her back to calm her down. I held her tight with both arms, and I could feel her heart slowing down.

"I'm o-okay now," she whispered. She remained in my arms for a few seconds longer before I reluctantly let her go. Before I laid down, I reached over and ruffled her hair.

"Goodnight," I whispered in her ear.