Chapter 6

I awoke the next morning, leaving Vanoss to sleep while I left to eat breakfast. Basically and Nanners were there yet again, and Nogla was cooking the food at the stove. Although, this time we were also accompanied by Mini Ladd.

"Good morning," I yawned and stretched.

"Morning. You sleep well?" Mini asked politely. I happily smiled and nodded.

"You're in a good mood," Mini chuckled as Nogla handed me a plate with French toast, eggs, and sausage.

Of course I was in a good mood. Finally, I had the opportunity to prove my worth to these guys, and they now looked at me as their equal.

"This is really good, Nogla," I smiled at him after I took a few bites.

"Thank ya," Nogla bowed.

I happily ate my food while everyone else slowly came into the kitchen to eat. Delirious was next to come in, and then Vanoss came in. He sat by me and ate his food while I finished my food.

"Any special plans today?" I asked.

"I think we were going to use our gym and workout, right?" Basically turned to Vanoss and he nodded in reply.

I had no idea they had their own gym. I guess since they make good money it only makes sense to have a gym in the apartment. I was already perplexed by the apartment alone, but now knowing they have a gym is surprising.

Mini had finished his food and he stood up. He noticed I was done with my food and he took my empty plate for me.

"Thanks," I smiled.

"I can show you where the gym is. No need waiting for everyone else to finish," He spoke as everyone else socialized with each other. Mini held his hand out to me.

"Oh, sure. Thank you," I said as I took his hand and he led me through the apartment.

He opened a pair of oak doors that revealed a large gym with numerous exercise equipment. There was some machines I had never even seen before.

Mini took his jacket off, revealing his white tank top and his fairly large arms. I watched him as he did some heavyweight lifting. The guy was able to lift a lot of weight. When he was done, he sat up and wiped the sweat from his face with the towel that laid beside him.

"You can lift a lot. That was pretty impressive," I said as he stood up.

"If you think that's impressive, you should see Vanoss lift weights. He lifts almost twice as much as I do, if not that than more," he chuckled and stretched. My eyes grew wide at the thought. I had noticed Vanoss's toned arms, but I had no idea he could lift that much.

"Really?" I asked, a bit skeptical.

"Yeah, you should watch him when he comes to workout. It's incredible. I wish to be as good as he is one day," Mini left me to stand there with a dumbfounded face. He began to do some stretches on the ground.

The doors behind me opened, and I turned to find Vanoss entering the gym. He also wore a tank top, and he strode in without glancing over at me.

"Speak of the devil," Mini called to him. Vanoss chuckled in reply and didn't hesitate to head straight for the lifting bench where Mini just was.

"What were you saying about me?" he asked, with some sarcasm mixed in his voice.

"Just that you can lift a lot," Mini spike as he stood up. He walked over and stood beside me.

"I would like to see how much you can lift, if that's okay with you," I sheepishly said. Vanoss looked over at me for the first time since he entered the gym. He had no facial expression, but his eyes sparkled. I could tell he was regarding me cautiously, almost as if he didn't know how to approach me.

"Alright, I'll show you," he said as he began to prepare. He laid down on the lifting bench after putting the weights on. My eyes grew wide at how much weight was on it. I figured he surely wouldn't be able to lift that much.

He steadied his breathing as he gripped the pole. He lifted it slowly from where it laid over him and pushed it up in the air. My jaw dropped because he was lifting twice as much as Mini did, just as Mini had previously said.

"Behold," Mini stretched his arms out towards Vanoss.

"The legend is true," I said in a sarcastically mystified voice. Vanoss slowly put the weight back where it rested before he lifted it and he sat up. Beads of sweat trickled down his temple as he turned to face Mini and I.

"But seriously, that's very impressive," I said, and Mini nodded in agreement.

"Thanks. Mini, pass me a towel," Vanoss gave a weak smile as he thanked me for the compliment. Mini grabbed a towel from the shelf of towels against the wall and tossed one to Vanoss.

As the day continued and the three of us worked out, the others slowly trickled in to join us. I did cardio the whole time, taking breaks in between to drink some water. The others mostly lifted, which is self-explanatory.

I left the gym to shower in Vanoss's room. Everyone else had finished working out and were now socializing. No one noticed I slipped out to shower.

"Long day," I mumbled to myself and wiped sweat from my face. I entered the bedroom and grabbed my pajamas and a towel. I locked myself in the en suite and took off my sweaty clothes. I turned the shower on and let the water pour over my head and trickle down my bare back and chest. It took away my tenseness and left me feeling relaxed and refreshed.

I finished my shower and put on my pajamas. I took my time preparing for bed. I brushed my hair, brushed my teeth, washed my face, and used the bathroom. I left to find Vanoss sitting on the end of the bed, seeming as if he was waiting for me.

"Hey," I gave him a smile. There was a moment of pause before he said anything.

"I'm sorry," he looked at me with a worried expression.

"Sorry? For what?" I asked, genuinely curious. I cocked my head to the side.

"When I found out you were my guard, I underestimated you. I thought the agency had made a mistake somehow. But I was wrong, and I'm sorry for undermining you," he looked into me eyes. I gave him a half smile before I responded.

"It's okay. I get that a lot, so don't feel too bad about it," I replied. Maybe that was why he was acting so distant around me after I showed them my ability.

I walked over to him and sat beside him on the bed. He must've showered in the hallway bathroom because his hair was wet and he no longer smelled sweaty.

I also had a wrong impression of Vanoss. He was genuinely kind, which I was surprised about. I previously saw him as rude and distant, since he disregarded me most of the time.

"I think we both got a misrepresentation of each other," I mumbled.

"How did you see me when I first met you?" Vanoss asked surprised. He must not have realized I also saw him differently than how he really is.

"I saw you as a distant and cold person," I replied.

"To be fair, I did act cold and distant around you. But that was a result of my resentment to have you as my guard," Vanoss timidly spoke, trying to choose his words carefully.

"How do you feel about me now?" I questioned.

"I know you'll do a good job protecting me," he grinned at me. I felt my heart beat faster and my face heat up. I turned so he couldn't see me blush.

I learned over and rested my head on his arm. I tiredly rubbed my eyes as I rested on his large arm. I felt relaxed as I felt the warmth of his body and I quickly fell asleep.