Chapter 9

°<_ Still Vanoss's POV _>°

That night as (y/n) fell asleep in my arms, I found myself unable to think of anything else but her. Every time I would close my eyes to sleep, her face would be the only thing I could see.

I opened my eyes a bit, frustrated I couldn't think straight. I felt like something was wrong with me, and I tried to look past it as I laid there. But without fail, she would remain in my thoughts.

Even as I ate breakfast later that morning, I would find myself glancing over at her without thinking about it. At one point she caught me staring, so after that I made a conscious effort to not look at her.

Lui walked into the kitchen with a deadly serious expression. Everyone else was gleefully chatting away, but they noticed Lui's solemn expression and they all ceased their talking. Lui looked directly at me.

"I need to talk to you," he muttered. I stood from my chair and followed him into the hall. He waited until everyone else was busy talking before he began to speak.

"Wildcat and I found them," Lui whispered. That was all he said, but he didn't need to say anything else. I knew he was referring to Phoenix.

I silently stood there, thinking of what we should do next.

"We will prepare for an attack tomorrow. Make sure they stay where they are while we get ready," I spoke hesitantly.

"Should we tell everyone else?" Lui asked.

"No, not until tomorrow. I don't want to scare them," I replied.

"But it could motivate them to work hard in preparation," Lui proposed.

I knew it would be better to tell them, but I didn't want to make (y/n) worry or stress. That's the only reason I declined telling them. I don't know what forced me to dictate my decision around her, but I went with it.

"Just keep it a secret until tomorrow," I repeated. He reluctantly nodded and we went back into the kitchen to finish our breakfast.

~Warning: this next part has some offensive language~

The rest of the day trudged along slowly. We spent several hours in the gym, and afterwards we decided to shower and play some games together.

"I'm gonna beat everyone in Mario Kart 8!" Wildcat declared egotistically. I let out a sigh as we started the game up.

"You say that pretty much every time," I stated.

"And it's true pretty much every time," he laughed. Basically just sat back and shook his head.

"You're such a liar," Delirious laughed.

We each selected our characters. I chose Luigi (Wouldn't it be cool with Vanoss actually played Mario Part 8 with the others?), Wildcat chose Yoshi, Moo chose Link, Basically chose Boo, Nogla chose Shy Guy, Terrorizor picked Bowser Jr, and Mini picked Dry Bones.

(y/n) sat by me as we raced. I felt better knowing she was next to me. As everyone was raging, she was laughing her head off, along with Nanners and Panda.

"NO! MOO YOU CUNT!" Wildcat hissed as Moo attacked Wildcat and passed him.

"AAAHHHH!" Basically yelled in frustration as he also got hit. He got pushed back from first place to sixth. Wildcat laughed at Basically's misery and was then immediately hit, putting him almost in last place.

"COOL, JUST COOL. LOVE THIS GAME. COME OONNNN!" Basically yelled. Delirious giggled as Wildcat got knocked back and hurled insults at Basically. He cheerfully passed Wildcat and continued on his merry way while Wildcat was still yelling.

"Tehehe, having fun back there?" Terrorizor spoke up as he was in the lead by nearly a whole lap.

"No! Ahh!" I nervously exclaimed as I was hit by a red shell.

"Come on! Who got a Bullet Bill in fourth place?!" Mini yelled as he got hit by a passing Bullet Bill.

"Triple red shells baby!" Nogla cheered as he hit Wildcat with all three shells.

"NOGLA I HATE YOU! I HOPE YOU GET AIDS!" Wildcat screamed while Nogla passed him.

"NO I FELL OFF DAMMIT!" Basically yelled at himself.

"Here comes a blue shell Terrorizor!" Mini called as he released the Blue shell. It hit Terrorizor, but he was nearly a lap ahead of everyone else so it didn't do much.

"Go Moo!" Ohm, Sark, and Lui cheered.

"Yes!" Moo cheered triumphantly.

"The results are in boys," Basically cheered, pretending to not be salty.

"Cool, just so cool. This game sucks ass," Wildcat muttered, holding his rage in. Mini let out an angry huff and quietly left the room, his face red with rage.

Moo finished the race in second place behind Terrorizor, who was far ahead. I finished in third, not too far behind Moo. Nogla was behind me in fourth, which he happily accepted.  Basically had finished in fifth, Mini ended in sixth, and Wildcat ended dead last in seventh.

"That was horse crap," Wildcat muttered angrily, tossing the controller down.

"Rematch?" Moo chuckled, knowing it would tick Wildcat off.

"Screw you," Wildcat said as he stood up and walked out of the room. Panda and Nanners laughed as soon as Wildcat left the room.

"Wow, he's competitive," (y/n) commented, laughing with Panda and Nanners.

"That's not even the full extent of his rage," I laughed.

"He'll recover from it quickly," Moo spoke as he stood up. Everyone began to retire to bed. I sat there with (y/n) until everyone had left.

It had dawned on me while we were playing games that since we found Phoenix, (y/n) and the other guards would soon have to leave. I had something in the back of my mind tugging at me that I wanted to tell her. It was something I wanted to tell her in private, but I couldn't bring it into words.

Instead of talking to her like I should've, I stood up and began to walk to my room. She followed behind me, being very quiet.

These feelings that were bugging me were very alien to me. I had never felt something so strange. I had no idea how to put it into words or what to call it. I just quietly laid down in bed while thinking of these feelings that ached my heart.

"(Y/n)?" I called her name as we laid there silently.

"Yeah?" She replied. I hesitated before replying. I needed to tell her something, but I didn't know what it was.

"...Night," I said as I clutched my pillow angrily.

What is it that I have to tell her? Ugh, this is so aggravating.

I said nothing more to her and decided to sleep. I closed my eyes, automatically seeing her face in my mind.